Chapter Twenty

"First traffic now this heavy ass rain? How could this get any worse?"

Me and Cody have been driving for an hour already and we are extremely late now. Traffic held us back for most of the hour we were driving and we had to slow down cause out of nowhere it started raining really heavily.

"Can you stop complaining for like one minute?" Cody asks, the annoyance clear in his voice

"Can you stop complaining for like one minute?" I mocked

"Why? Why do you have to mock me?"

I shrugged and looked out the window. Half an hour ago me and Cody began getting irritated with each other. I think it's mostly because we're bored.

There's not much you can do when you're stuck in the same car with the same person for a long time with zero entertainment.

My phone vibrates on my lap and I unlock it. It's a text from Cam. I texted her and asked her to give me game updates.

"We're down by 7. It's the fourth down in the second quarter." I announce

"Why the he'll are we down by 7?"

"Yeah, ask me Cody because I'm there." I say sarcastically and roll my eyes

"For the millionth time in the past hour. YOUR SARCASM IS UN-APPRECIATED!"

"Your sarcasm is unappreciated," I mock "Bite me Cody."

"Whatever, just how much longer until we get there?"

I check the GPS on my phone and see we have 11 more miles to go. I look at the map and see there are two ways we can go. One way is to continue following the intersection route and the other is this two way road.

"We have 11 miles to go, but there's this alternate road and its a two way lane, wanna go that way or?" I ask letting my sentence drift off.

"Lets take that two way route. We can probably speed and get there faster. Where do we turn in?"

"In the next mile."

He nods and we stay quiet.

My mind drifts back to my mom and Keana. I wonder if my mom is still alive. It's a really negative thought, but I can't help it. She like dropped off the face of the earth. Then there's Keana. She's so...so...mean. I mean, I know I'm mean, but damn not when I first meet a person, damn.Then there's my dad, who kept everything from us. I just don't understand why he hid it from us.

I look out the windsheild, and all you can see is darkness. Cody has the lights on but its still not super clear.

"Hey Kaeleah, can you reach back and grab my phone from my duffel?" Cody asks glancing at me.

"Well I can but the question is will I?" I say

"Can you just do it?" He asks with a hint of irritation in his voice.

"Yeah yeah yeah, whatever."

I knuckle myself and climb over the center counsel to get to the back. I sis down and grab Codys duffel and set it on my lap.

"So there exactly is your phone?" I ask.

"I don't know, but its somewhere in there." He says.

I nod even though he can't see me. I check both side pockets and it's just full of trash, candy trash.

"You have a shit load of candy trash in your duffels side pockets." I say loudly. He looks at me through the rear view mirror and smiles.

"Hey a man's gotta eat, right?"