Chapter Twenty-Seven

UNEDITED

"So are you pumped for the game?" Lance asks as we wait outside the bus for everyone.

"You know what? I'm actually not sure."

"You seem very calm."

"Is that a bad thing?" I ask raising my eyebrow.

"Well i'm not so sure." He pouts looking slightly confused.

I look around the parking lot and see only half my team here. Someone catches my eye and I smile.

I walk over to Alexander and he smiles at me.

"What are you doing here?" I ask.

"Well I do go to school here now."

"Really?" I ask.

"Well if a certain someone would have put my number to use." he trails off.

"Hey! I have been dealing with things." I say and point a finger at him.

"I'm kidding Renee." He laughs. "So today's the big championship game huh?"

"Yeah." I say and look down.

"What's wrong?" He asks.

"Nothing really." I say and smile up at him.

"Renee. I might have been gone for several years, but I know you enough to tell when something's wrong."

Dam you Alexander. I take a deep breath and look at all my teammates laughing and talking together having a good time.

"It's just..Well I have been screwing so many things up recently, and I just don't want to let anyone else down anymore."

Xander holds my shoulders and turns me around to face him again.

"Renee, even if you did loose this game, which I highly doubt, these people wouldn't care. And all those critics out there, well their opinions don't matter because it's a damn game. An NFL team looses the superbowl every year, this is a god damn high school football game, no one's going to care. Besides, you have three championships under your belt." he shrugs.

"Oh get out of here." I say and shove him lightly. He laughs and bites his lower lip.

The building door opens and Tyler walks out with Chassidy under his arm.

"Oh god Tyler, I love you." she giggles. Ew.

"I love you too baby." he says and kisses her. I scowl at them and turn away.

Out of the corner of my eye I see Alexander watching me carefully with an eyebrow raised.

I turn to him with a skeptical look. "What?" I ask.

"What was that all about?" he asks.

"Nothing." I say and shrug.

"You know, lying will get you no where." he says and gives me a deadpan look.

"Load Up!" Coach Reynolds yells and climbs in the bus.

"Oh look at that, I have to go." I say and start walking away.

I feel hands grip my waist and Xander pulls me back into his chest.

"I don't know what happened Renee, but you deserve way better than a guy who will drop you like a hot potato once something goes wrong." I nod and let his words sink in. "I'll see you later Renee." He smiles at me before walking back into the school. I shake my head to clear my mind and proceed toward the bus.

"What was that all about?" Kael asks with a smirk.

"Honestly, I don't know."

"Please give a warm welcome to the away team. Carmel Heights High Home of the Titans!" The announcer well announces.