Chapter Thirteen

Kael's P.O.V.

I watched as my sister and my dad left in the ambulance. I'm the one who's supposed to protect her on the field, not the other way around.

We continued on with the game like nothing happened and once it was finished, we all piled back onto the bus and rode home.

The bus ride was filled with nothing but silence. I think I speak for everyone when I say Kae is the most valued on the team. So for something like this to happen to her takes a toll on each of us. It's like we all feel a bit guilty that we couldn't protect her from the hit.

She probably just has a concussion, but I can't help but worry. You can slip into a coma in your concussion stage and that worries me to no end.

We get back to school in record time. I took the liberty of taking Kae's duffel after the game. I searhed for her keys in the side pocket and once I find it I don't waste anytime oppening the doors.

"If you plan on going to the hospital and need a ride, get it now." I announce to everyone in the parking lot.

Tyler, Cody, Lance, and Ray all jump in.

I've gotten to know Cody and Lance more yesterday and today, so they're not strangers to me.

We speed to the hospital and get out once I find a parking. We rush inside and go to the front desk receptionist.

"Kaeleah Anderson, what room?" I ask.

Most of the guys rush in behind us. Dev, Jay, and Jose come stand next to us.

The lady looks up at us. "Family only." She says

"We are family." I say

"All of you?" She asks with unbelief in her voice.

"Yes now can you tell us where she is?" I ask getting impatient.

I just want to see my goddamn sister already! Why is this taking so long?

"4th floor, room 347." She says and we all rush to the stairs in a hurry. Yeah, we decided against taking the elevator, it would have taken forever.

We reach the 4th floor and we're all breathless. We all rush to her room. When we get there a nurse is coming out and stops us from going in.

"Too many people. Go to the waiting room." She orders and ushers us there. "Now don't cause any trouble." She says looking at all of us.

We are all wet and muddy from the game. We probably stink really bad, but I guess none of us really care.

A nurse passes by and stares at me for a second too long. She looks oddly familiar. Or not, I don't know.

She walks past us and winks at me.

"Dude, do you know her?" Tyler asks from next to me.

"I'm not even sure."

The waiting room is pretty spacious. There's a tv on the front wall, and chairs around the room and a small table. The walls are painted an off white color and there are health posters everywhere.

"I hate hospitals." I state under my breath.

"No kidding, it's too depressing here, and it stinks like medicine." Tyler says his nose scrunched up in disgust.

We sit there for about another twenty minutes until I see my dad. I immediately stand up and rush over to him.

He doesn't look like a complete mess, so it can't be bad. Right?

"How is she?" I ask with urgency.

"She's good, she's just passed out right now. Her body shut down from shock. But she does have a concussion, so she's going to be here until tomorrow so they can monitor her. You are all free to go in. Only one person at a time." He says.