Chapter 1-

Violet

I began my first day at River Cross High School like every other new kid. I walked through the double doors of the main building, taking in the unpleasant smell of B.O. and cheap perfume, trying to reassure myself that spending the next two years of my life here can't be that bad.

I kept my head down as I made my way through the crowded lobby, full of kids (mostly freshmen) trying to figure out their own new schedules for the year.

I stood in the long line in the office waiting patiently to get that yellow piece of paper that would more or less seal my fate for the impending 180 days ahead of me.

I felt a few eyes on me, maybe some other juniors who hadn't ever seen me before. Some stares on your first day are inevitable, but they didn't make me  any more uncomfortable than I already was.

I made my way to the front of the line, beginning to notice people sharing soft smiles as they passed me, which I returned. It was comforting.

I reached the front of the line to meet a tall woman, maybe in her mid to late forties, sitting at a table with boxes and boxes of envelopes and schedules. She greeted me excitedly and asked for my first and last name.

"Violet Brooks."

"One second," she dug through one of the boxes labeled '11 A-C' and pulled out an envelope with 'BROOKS' written on the front of it, "Ah, here it is. There you go, your schedule for the year." She said as she handed me the envelope with a warm smile.

"I see you're a new student. My name is Mrs. Rose, I'm your assistant principal. Your first class is down the right hallway. Room 213." She vaguely pointed down one of the hallways and moved on to the next student in line. 

Great. I guess I'm on my own now.

210...211...212...2-

My thoughts were interrupted when I was knocked to the ground by somebody. I looked up to see a pair of green eyes and a head of shaggy, dirty blonde hair looking back at me.

"Hellooo?" he said waving his hand in my face, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Oh, sorry. I totally got distracted."

"Are you okay?" he smiled.

What can I say, he was adorable.

"Yeah, I'm fine. I'm just looking for my class."

"Oh sweet, you're new? Let me see your schedule."

I handed it to him and he started reading.

"Lucky you ran into me, we have a few classes together."

Running into a super cute boy on my first day of school isn't exactly how I envisioned getting started here, but it could be way worse. 

"Well, follow me. I don't want you getting in trouble on the first day." he said, helping me up.

I followed him and we made it to the classroom right before the second bell rang.