Chapter 40

{Jacey's P.O.V}

Today is Christmas Eve. It's been a few days since Christian and I hung out. We've been texting a little but it just feels awkward.

I'm planning to invite him over tonight to watch Christmas movies with my family and I, that way we won't really have to talk a lot.

First thing I need to do is go out and buy him a present. I had my mom drop me off at the mall for a few hours.

After browsing for awhile I ended up getting a new adidas hoodie and a teddy bear for him.

I got home and wrapped everything up in some cute puppy paper. I passed the rest of the time by listening to Christmas music and face timing Lilly.

At around 5:00, the doorbell rang. I hurried downstairs to open the door but June beat me to it. Instead of Christian, who I was expecting, in walked a tall ginger, looking about 20.

He greeted June with a kiss and put his arm around her.

"I know this is a bit of a surprise, but I wanted you guys to meet my boyfriend, Ian."

A few minutes of introductions and small talk went by when there was a knock on the door again.

I opened the door to find Christian, who was wearing a Santa hat. He gave me a brief hug and went on to say hi to my family.

Getting settled in, we all made our way into the living room and sat down. Looking around the room I realized how weird this was. It felt like some family quadruple date.

Throughout the movies, Christian seemed kind of tense. It almost seemed as if he only came to show up but didn't really care to be here. But of course, I was the only one who picked up on that so I just kept to myself.

After what seemed like YEARS we got through all three movies. It probably would have been more enjoyable if I wasn't so enveloped with Christian.

I walked him to the door and then headed up to my room. During the whole time he only said about 6 words to me. I know I shouldn't be worrying about it so much but he's never acted like this and with no explanation, it really hurts.

I nudged the presents I got him under my bed with my foot. Looking at them just made me think even more.

I washed my face, put on one of Christian's salad sweatshirts, and climbed in bed.

No matter how hard I tried I could not fall asleep. And to make things worse some branch started knocking on my window. A few minutes passed of the constant tapping when I realized there were no trees near my bedroom.

I got up and walked over to the window. Quietly sliding it up, a pebble flew through the opening and onto my floor.

"Sorry." I heard whispered, followed by the most recognizable laugh ever.

"Christian, what are you doing?" I whisper screamed.

"Come with me. Please." he said.

"I'm not wearing pants." I replied.

He laughed again, followed by, "If you don't come with me you're not getting any presents from Santa." He still wore the hat.

Giggling, I slipped on some leggings and creeped downstairs and outside. I met Christian in my backyard and he gave me a nice, long hug.

As we broke apart, he stuck out his hand for me to hold. We walked in silence, our feet crunching the ice below.

After a few minutes, we  reached the creek that ran through our neighborhood. Christian sat me down on a little wooden bench and stood with his guitar.

"Jacey, I know things haven't been right lately, and I need to make it up to you. This song is called Please Notice, and I wrote it for you."

Baby when you sleep, do you dream of me?
And when you're awake, do you think of me?
I need to know, how do you feel?

Cause baby when I sleep, I dream of you
And when I'm awake, that's all I do
Think about every detail you have

Do you notice when I get mad, I clench my jaw?
Do you notice when I get sad, I tend to fall?
Look at my words I say to you

Cause I notice when you get mad
You close your eyes
And I notice when you are sad
you let out sighs

I need to know are those sighs ever over me?

Do you know how in love with you
I am?
Do you see how in love with you
I am?

Every thing that you do, it makes my heart stop
Oh, it stops

And baby when you sleep, do you dream of me?

At the end of the song he reached into his pocket and handed me some ripped, wrinkled pieces of paper with the song lyrics on them.

"This is what was in my notebook a few days ago when I went ham. I'm still really sorry about that, I just didn't want to ruin the surprise."

"Christian this is all amazing, thank you."

I stood up to hug him again, only for it to be broken by Christian saying, "It's freezing out here, can we go somewhere?"

We ended up going back to my house so I could give him his presents. After awhile I could feel myself starting to fall asleep in his arms.