Chapter 50: Surprise!

Saturday night. 7pm- do not be late. The Dorchester Hotel Ballroom. Masquerade Ball for a belated celebration of Louis Tomlinson’s 23rd birthday. It’s a surprise so don’t tell him obviously. Feel free to pass this on to friend’s and family I wouldn’t have contacted. Text me who is coming and I’ll get their name on the list. Dress code: Cocktail. X

 I sent the message around on the Monday before, giving myself a short 6 days to plan the party. I loved a good time crunch and it had definitely paid off in this circumstance. Family friend’s of mine who owned the Dorchester Hotel had gladly offered up their ballroom for the exclusive occasion. Harry had contacted one of his event manager friends who had been helping me, but I’d enjoyed planning way too much. He’d been surprisingly on board when I suggested the whole thing to him, probably because he knew it would knock two more things off the list. The only thing that was really stressing me out had been my outfit, until I found the most perfect dress, and the most amazing mask. The dress was tucked away at The Box boutique, hiding so subtly that you’d think it was last season, but a bit of research revealed it was sample stock of the latest line, and I was in love. White lace, tight waist but sharp skirt line with overlapping curved hem. It was gorgeous, and perfect with a white lace mask.

The day had sped up on me and every day I got a few more texts with a few more names to add to the list. I had to do a bit of research into each name first, making sure there was no sneaky creeps getting on the list. Harry had arranged security with management, and everything was set to go. A few conversations with Lottie, Louis’ sister, with the help of Harry who convinced her I was a decent person- she’s not easy to win over, but in the end she had agreed to help me in getting Louis to the event, she’d convinced him they were just going to a late dinner because she was in town. Little did he know his whole family would be in attendance, and a few friends from back home.  She’s bringing him through the back door so that his suspicions won’t be raised by the security and all that.

“Don’t punch me, but you look very beautiful tonight Charlotte Jones.” Harry was trailing behind me as I ran around the grand ballroom, fixing a few decorations that weren’t up to my standard. I’d gone with a black and red theme, remembering a conversation Louis and I had months ago about our favourite colours. I think he said red, red or black anyway so I was right either way.

“Thanks, looking dapper in a tux as always Haz.” I turned around to face him, straightening his bow tie and running my fingers down the lapels of his jacket to neaten it slightly.

“You’re my toughest critic, so if you say I look good, I must.” He smirks, fixing his messy hair in a large, gold framed mirror and adjusting his mask, a half-faced silver mask that was eerily creepy, but oddly hot. Well, not oddly hot because I really am not surprised anymore by Harry making weird things look hot. His weird ponytail stage was proof of that. 

The ballroom was large  and gorgeous, only enhanced by my expert decorating decisions. Bar tables had been set around the outskirts of the room, the centre reserved for dancing, and a play list I had constructed was already playing in the background. Harry had suggested a DJ, but I am much too picky about music to trust some idiot who can “spin da wheels” or whatever they say.

One by one, guests started to filter in. Liam- who was wearing a batman mask, lame, Sophie, Zayn and Perrie were a few that I actually recognized, considering most of the guest list was Louis’ friends and in our brief two week relationship I hadn’t really met a lot of his non-famous friends. I had attempted to buff out the list a bit by inviting my own friends, which meant I was easily now the most unattractive girl in the room, in comparison to Gemma, Gab, Linda, Perrie, Sophia and Olivia. Gemma’s bright red dress was an odd choice for her, but as always she rocked it, and I had reluctantly leant Gab my black dress with the low back, knowing she would look better in it than me but being a good, forgiving friend I surrendered and let her wear it. The masks did little to conceal people’s identities, which was terrifying for me when Louis’ family arrived. It was just his Mum and Fizzie, well I think that’s her name, it’s been a while, so I assumed Dan had stayed in Doncaster with the little ones. She was surprisingly nice to me, but I guess she probably didn’t know everything that went down, unlike Anne who knows every single detail by now.