Chapter 17: Happy days

I was hooked. 

Everything about him was addictive, and no amount would ever be enough.

It was like I was studying a crash course in everything Matt Healy and dammit I wanted to finish top of my class. No amount of information was enough, I was fascinated, hooked, intrigued, everything. He had this aura about him that had me constantly attached, and no amount of pulling away would separate that. Not that I was even trying to pull away. Our 3 days with no contact to the outside world had turned into 5, and I wasn’t ready for them to be over. Hopefully, neither was he.

His smile, his laugh, the way he sleeps, the way he kisses…the sex, god. Everything was this new and fun experience, and I’d forgotten what it was like to feel genuinely excited about spending time with another person.

He played me music while I fell asleep, and while I woke up, and I didn’t hate it like I thought I would’ve if someone ever sang to me, he always watched me, with wide eyes, and he constantly kissed me suddenly, randomly, and often, and his fingers were always trailing across my skin. My heart was forever pounding faster than was surely safe, and I felt like everything he did had a direct affect on me. His hair, his tattoos that weren’t tacky, but actually had some in depth meaning, or a thought behind it other than ‘it looks sick’. He referred to them as ‘war scars’ and I was yet to hear the reasoning behind each and every one, but I couldn’t wait to find out yet another piece of the puzzle.

Matt was a contradiction. He was simple and to the point, but all at once he was confusing and there was so many intricate details to his personality, keeping me constantly on my toes and I loved it. I studied his features constantly, his hair, his movements, his habit of fiddling with his fingernails.

For the past 5 days everything has revolved around each other, we were in this bubble of contagious compulsion and dependence, but I didn’t hate it. I loved it; I relished every moment of our tiny universe because I knew it would be short lived. He was so passionate about his art form, describing his lyrics to me in depth, showing me why he chose to play what chords and when, the thoughts and feelings that were coursing through him when he wrote particular things, composed certain melodies, and in general what he loved about his music. It was nothing I’d ever experienced before, Harry and Louis loved singing but they rarely spoke to me about their careers, and when they did only really focusing on the fame aspect, the annoying fame aspect that they had a love/hate relationship with. But Matt was so different, he still loved it, he thrived off knowing the connection he had to everyone in the room at the show, making it personal and intimate for everyone and damn it I wanted to see him perform so badly now. His eyes light up when he speaks about music, and I find myself constantly in awe of how someone could be that passionate about something.

“Where do you think you’re going?” Matt’s fingers wrap around my wrist, tugging me back to lie down on the mattress beside him.

“I really should turn my phone on, I’m surprised Gab hasn’t filed a missing person’s report.” I yawn, stretching out on the mattress.

“But it’s so much better without the outside world.” He sighs, yawning straight after me.

“I know, but reality calls, besides, we both now you have to go to the studio today, and I need to go home, I miss clothes.” I smirk, wrapping the sheet around me as I stand up from the bed in search of my clothes from almost a week ago.

“Clothes are for the weak.”
“I don’t know about that.” I shake my head, pulling up my underwear and grabbing my phone from my clutch that has been sitting in the same spot on the floor the whole time over the past few days.

I turn it on as I gather the rest of my clothes and lazily pull them on, aware of Matt’s eyes on me from the bed.

MY eyes widen as my phone has a fit of incoming notifications, my stomach sinks with that feeling of ‘fuck what have I missed’.