Chapter 5: Rulebooks & Princesses

It was head versus heart versus body. No one could agree on what to do. My body was starting to overpower my heart and my mind, the need for him escalating as he squeezed my thighs, pulling me up against him.

“No. We can’t.” I mumble. Way to sound convincing Charlotte. Idiot.

“Yes, we can.”

“Friends with benefits? You’re insane. We could never do that.” I can barely focus on my train of thought as he runs his fingers up the inside of my tight black skirt.

“Yes we could. I want more than that, but I’m willing to do whatever to have you in my life.”
My heart warms at the sentiment of his words, but my brain knows better and it quickly turns ice cold.

“No.” I push off his chest, stepping back and leaning against the wall opposite the bed.

“Why not?”

“You know why not.”

“Not anymore I don’t. I honestly don’t understand why we can’t be together, that list is not a good enough reason Char.” Char Char Char, my subconscious swoons. She’s even more all over the place than I am.

“You’re kidding right? Harry don’t make me repeat myself, you and I both know that we are a complete mess in a relationship. I always cared way more than you did and I had absolutely no control a result of that, it was all too easy for you to walk all over me to get exactly what you wanted. And that’s just…it’s unforgettable.”

“But is it unforgivable?” He questions, his eyes peering up at me.

“I honestly don’t know. This is all so confusing. Why did you even come find me tonight? We haven’t spoken in months.”
“Gemma told me she was going to Oh! for uni girls catch up, and I knew you’d be there.”

“I didn’t ask how, I asked why. Why, after all this time of me trying to get over you, did you have to come and mess it up, yet again!”

“Because I have spent the last five months waiting to get over you, spending everyday pining for you and thinking about you and nothing else. I kept waiting for the day when it wouldn’t hurt, when I wouldn’t regret everything. But it never came Char, my feelings for you haven’t changed, but I have. I won’t hurt you again, I promise. I just want to feel like I can breathe again and I can’t do that without you in my life.” He stands from the couch, stalking over to where I’m standing against the wall. Why do I do this to myself? Why didn’t I just not talk to him at the club?

“Harry, I have to be single for a year. All I can offer you is friendship…right now. Take it or leave it.” I shrug, my voice cracks despite how hard I’m trying to sound confident.

He huffs, putting his hands on the wall, beside either side of my face.

“So no benefits even?” He pouts, leaning forward so his lips are inches from mine and my eyes are staring into the chasm of forest green.

“I think that would be a bad idea.” I gulp, sounding really unconvincing because his close proximity is taking my breath away.

“You think too much.” His hot breath fans across my neck as his face dips, his lips almost brushing mine but I weave out of the way just in time. That would be bad. Very bad. But so good at the same time.

“I wish I could tell you to leave, but then Gab will know you were here. If Gemma hasn’t told her that is.” I think out loud, slumping down onto the bed.

“Guess I have to stay. Might as well make the most of it.” He grins and I roll my eyes at him.
“You know you’re really not helping yourself by rolling your eyes. It only makes me want you so much more, and makes me want to try so much harder.” He smirks, sitting down beside me and wrapping his hand around my waist. I clasp my hand over his and pull it off, but just the simple act of our fingers colliding is enough to send sparks flying. I exhale deeply, expelling pent up emotion.