A History: Year 5

Amisty dropped down into the seat next to Hermione, jumping in halfway through a discussion about the inspected lessons.

" -- before lunch. Charms," George was saying.

"What was it like?"

Fred shrugged, "Not that bad. Umbridge just lurked in the corner making notes on a clipboard. You know what Flitwick's like, he treated her like a guest, didn't seem to bother him at all. She didn't say much. Asked Alicia a couple of questions about what the classes are normally like, Alicia told her they were really good, that was it."

"I can't see old Flitwick getting marked down, he usually gets everyone through their exams all right," George added.

"Who've you got this afternoon?" Fred asked.

"Trewlawney -- "

"A T if ever I saw one -- "

" -- and Umbridge herself."

George groaned sympathetically, "Well, be a good boy and keep your temper with Umbridge today. Angelina'll do her nut if you miss any more Quidditch practices."

-=+=-

They had just sat down at their usual table when Umbridge climbed up through the trapdoor on the floor. The class fell silent in an instant and Professor Trelawney turned around, her lips twisting into a frown.

"Good afternoon, Professor Trelawney. You received my note, I trust? Giving the time and date of your inspection?" Umbridge smiled, clipboard in hand.

Professor Trelawney nodded, resuming her passing out of books with a very annoyed expression on her face. Umbridge took a seat just behind Professor Trelawney's own chair, waiting expectantly for class to begin with that horrible smile still etched on her face.

"We shall be continuing our study of prophetic dreams today. Divide into pairs, please, and interpret each other's latest nightting visions with the aid of Oracle," She instructed, hands trembling slightly as she wrapped her shawls around her shoulders.

Umbridge, after a few minutes of scribbling down notes, proceeded to wander around the classroom, asking questions and jotting things down. Amisty was chatting with Neville about their own dreams when --

"Now, you've been in this post how long, exactly?" Umbridge asked with her faux smile.

Professor Trelawney's frown deepened into a scowl as she wrapped her arms tighter around herself. She paused, voice bitter as she replied. "Nearly sixteen years."

"Quite a period. So it was Professor Dumbledore who appointed you?"

"That's right."

"And you are a great-great-granddaughter of the celebrated Seer Cassandra Trelawney?"

"Yes."

"But I think -- correct me if I am mistaken -- that you are the first in your family since Cassandra to be possessed of second sight?"

Amisty's eyes widened.

"These things often skip -- er -- three generations."

"Of course. Well, if you could just predict something for me, then?"

Professor Trelawney went very still, her eyes wide with indignation, "I don't understand you."

"I'd like you to make a prediction for me," Umbridge elaborated, smiling even wider.

"The Inner Eye does not See upon command!" She almost shrieked, drawing herself up to her fullest height.

"I see," Umbridge scribbled something down.