The Dementors: Year 3/Summer

The rain had sped up, pelting the windows with droplets and proving it almost impossible to see outside. The lanterns that lined the corridors and hung over the luggage racks flickered on, illuminating the train.

It was rattling, the wind was thunderous, and the rain was pounding, yet Professor Lupin still managed to stay sound asleep.

"We must be barely there," Ron commented, leaning so that he could look out the window. But just as he finished speaking, the train lost speed. "Great. I'm starving. I want to get to the feast..."

"We can't be there yet," Hermione protested, holding up her arm to get a look at her watch.

"So why're we stopping?" Ron asked, moving back to his seat and sinking down into the cushions.

The train lost even more of its speed, and then the chugging sound of the pistons faded away entirely.

Now the sound of the rain was even louder than it was before.

Harry got to his feet, peering out into the corridor as the train jolted to a stop. Several thuds followed, telling them that trunks all around them had fallen to the floor. And then the lights went out, flooding the train with suffocating darkness.

Amisty blinked, desperately trying to get her eyes to adjust. Slowly she managed to make out the shadowy figures of everyone in the compartment, and her ears picked up Ron shuffling to his feet as well.

"What's going on?" Ron asked, his voice followed by the sounds of his footsteps.

"Ouch! Ron, that was my foot!" Hermione hissed, moving her legs up so they were up on her seat.

Harry moved back to where had been sitting, his hands reaching blindly for things to hold on to.

So she was the only one who could see... and even then she was mostly blind.

"D'you think we've broken down?" Harry asked, sitting down softly on his chair.

"Dunno..." Ron replied, his voice trailing off as he felt his way back to his own seat.

He wiped his sleeve against the window, wiping away the mist that had covered it.

"There's something moving out there. I think people are coming aboard..." Ron explained, peering out the window.

"Am, your eyes are glowing," Harry exclaimed, pointing toward her.

She looked around, only to get a nod of confirmation from Hermione.

"What d'you mean -- " She started, only to jump as the compartment door opened.

She looked over, barely making out a very scared looking Neville.

"Sorry -- d'you know what's going on? -- Ouch -- sorry -- " He rambled, falling to the ground over Harry's leg.

"Hello, Neville," Harry greeted, his voice strained with pain, pulling the boy up by his cloak.

"Harry? Is that you? What's happening?" Neville asked worriedly.

"No idea -- sit down -- " Harry replied.

There was some shuffling, and then a loud hiss and yelp. Poor Neville had tried to sit on Crookshanks.

"I'm going to ask the driver what's going on," Hermione decided, getting to her feet and moving toward the door.

She was just about to open the compartment door when it slid open and Ginny walked in.

There was a thud and then two yelps.