Lýkos: Year 5

Draco was waiting inside, leaning lazily against the desk with his platinum hair swept across his forehead.

"Hey," Amisty lingered hesitantly by the door, uncertain of how he felt with her attitude.

He chuckled, "You know, I'm not angry with you."

"I didn't think that," She lied, walking toward him quickly.

"Liar," He grinned, swooping her up in his arms and nuzzling her cheek with his nose.

"Stop that," She laughed, swatting at his chest weakly. "You're cold... and pointy."

"Runs in the family," He replied cheekily.

"So," She lifted herself up onto the desk, "what is it you summoned me for, if you're not upset with me?"

"Any dreams lately that don't quite feel like dreams?" He got straight to the point, as always.

She tipped her head to the side, "Since first year, actually."

"And..."

"My mother, when she's a wolf, comes down to say hello, I suppose," She replied slowly. "I didn't really see her, not properly at least, until this summer."

"What does she look like?"

"Silver, like she's made of stars," Amisty screwed up her eyes, thinking back and scrounging for details. "Kinda cold, I guess? Like she's not quite there but there at the same time."

"Yes, well," A smile played at the corner of his mouth as he sat down next to her, "I think I have an explanation for those."

"And are you going to tell me or are you just going to sit there taunting me with your superior knowledge?" She teased, giving him a faux glare. Maybe he wasn't so good at getting to the point.

"Wolves are pack animals, yes?"

She nodded.

"Strong family ties, especially to their ancestors?"

"I... I guess."

"As you know, being a friend of the Golden Boy himself, love is one of the strongest forms of magic, and love between family is a very strong tie indeed," He leaned down, plucking out his journal.

He opened it where the ribbon had marked his page, tilting it to show her the drawing of, well, a wolf that looked suspiciously like her mother.

"This just isn't fair,"Amisty grumbled with a scowl, glaring down at the drawing. "You can dance, speak French, make difficult potions without so much as breaking a sweat. What else can you do?"

"I'm a musician, but that's not what I'm here to talk about," He talked quickly, cutting her off before she goes on. "And this is one of Blaise's drawings. He's quite the artist if he tries."

"How in Circe's name did you convince him to draw that?" She raised an eyebrow.

"It's Blaise," Draco shrugged. "Bit of sweets and a galleon and he'll do anything you want, no questions asked. You two would be good friends if you tried."

"That's insulting."

"Because I compared you to Blaise or because I said it's easy to win you over with chocolate?"

"Bit of both," She shrugged, grinning and shouldering him gently. "Go on, then, what is this all about."

"They're called lýkos, spirit wolves," He pointed at the stars along the paws where the fur slowly faded. "Echo wasn't the first Wolf Born, but she was certainly one of the strongest. Lýkos are usually found in wolf culture, not including werewolves, and are particularly common in wolf packs exposed to magic. I wouldn't be very surprised if the wolves in the Forbidden Forest communicated this way. Lýkos are a way for living wolves to speak with their ancestors and find guidance.