Putting It Together: Year 3/Summer

"So you've finally figured it out, then?" Hermione nodded, a heavy sigh leaving her mouth as her shoulders drooped.

"You knew?!" Amisty exclaimed, whirling around to face Hermione head on, eyes wide.

"Amisty, those letters just made you so happy I didn't want to ruin them for you. I found out last year... he was writing one in the library but he doesn't know that I saw him. I'm sorry," Hermione replied, looking distressed.

"How come you didn't you tell me?" She asked accusingly, her eyes narrowing slightly.

"It's just that... every time you got a letter you just, you were so happy, I didn't want to ruin that. I'm so so sorry," Hermione wrung her hands.

Amisty stared at her, the combined shock of Hermione's concealment and the writer of the letters rendering her speechless.

"You need to tell me these things, Hermione," Amisty groaned, running her hands through her hair. "Don't apologize again."

"I will, I promise. But now that you know, what're you going to do?" The brunette asked.

"Talk to him, ask him why he did it... Or just pretend that I never found out. I don't know!" She fell back onto the bed, staring up at the ceiling.

"You've got to talk to him, he's going to find out you know eventually. Better sooner than later," Hermione replied honestly.

"What about Harry and Ron. They'd kill me if they found out," She protested, slamming her hands down on the sheets.

"They don't know yet, and aren't you going to stop writing to him now that you know who he is?" Hermione laid down next to her, turning her head so she could look at the raven-haired girl.

"I don't -- " She started, covering her face with a choked groan. "I don't know, Hermione. I don't know."

Her mind was flooded with memories of the letters.

Of waiting impatiently after she replied, of writing out her own letters as quickly as she could, of being cheered up by them even if her friends couldn't do it.

And not to mention Echo's connection with the owl. They were almost inseparable when they were together, at least from Amisty's perspective.

"Talk to him, work this out. From what I've read off of your letters, he pretends more around you than you think," Hermione moved her hands away from her face, looking into Amisty's green eyes with her own brown ones.

"When will I ever get a chance to speak with him?" Amisty asked, slowly nodding as she agreed with Hermione's plan.

"The train. He always comes to our compartment, right? For once you can be the one who starts the conversation," Hermione replied.

"Okay, I will. What're we going to tell Harry and Ron?" She asked as the two of them sat up properly.

"They're used to you disappearing by now, and with Malfoy there as well they're probably thinking you went to go chew him out," Hermione answered.

"Alright... thank you, Hermione. Honestly," Amisty sighed, a smile tugging at the corner of her mouth.

"No problem. I'm just surprised you haven't put it all together yet," She laughed light-heartedly.

"Okay, well, you were the one who saw him in the library!" Amisty argued, crossing her arms jokingly.

"I knew before that, it just confirmed my suspicions," Hermione grinned back, rolling her eyes.

The two shared a laugh, and the topic drifted away from the topic of the letters to many other things.

-=+=-