Another Letter: Year 2

Just as Amisty had opened her mouth to retaliate when Filch stormed down the hallway.

Draco stepped back, disappearing within the knot of students.

"What's going on here? What's going on?" He bellowed, shoving his way rather harshly through the crowd. Though, his anger soon morphed into despair as he caught sight of his beloved cat. "My cat! My cat! What's happened to Mrs. Norris?"

Amisty bit her lip.

She had never particularly liked Filch, but he clearly cared very deeply about his cat and his reaction just ground the point home.

He whirled around, eyes sparkling with unshed tears, and his furious gaze fell on Harry.

"You! You! You've murdered my cat! You've killed her! I'll kill you! I'll--" He raged, starting toward Harry with a raised fist.

Amisty leaped in front of him, bracing herself for the blow.

"Argus!" A calm but commanding voice sounded from across the hallway.

It was Professor Dumbledore, a few more teachers behind him. The Headmaster walked past the quartet, his robes billowing at the speed of his movements, and took Mrs. Norris down from where she was hanging.

"Come with me, Argus," His voice didn't even raise in volume as he spoke, authority simply leaked from his words. "You, too, Mr. Potter, Mr. Weasley, Miss Granger, Miss River."

"My office is nearest, Headmaster--just upstairs--please feel free--" Professor Lockhart piped up, smiling as always.

"Thank you, Gilderoy," Professor Dumbledore replied, nodding his thanks as he carried Mrs. Norris down the hall.

Immediately, the crowd split in two, letting the small group pass through.

Amisty scanned the people, looking for Draco. She caught sight of his platinum blonde hair and then his eyes.

Once again, silver eyes met green. A smirk formed on his face and he crossed his arms.

Amisty nearly lost it right then and there, but Hermione had grabbed her by the arm and pulled her back to the group.

Professor Lockhart followed with an air of importance, Professor McGonagall and Professor Snape as well.

The blonde teacher's office was dark, the candles yet to be lit. Amisty jumped as the Lockhart's in the pictures on the walls rushed hurriedly out of sight.

The four took a seat in the plush chairs, keeping out of the small ring of light the candles left. Professor Dumbledore was leaning over Mrs. Norris, his eyes focused as he poked the cat gently, and both Professor McGonagall and Snape were just as close, though they didn't touch her.

"It was a definitely a curse that killed her -- probably the Transmogrifian Torture -- I've seen it used many times, so unlucky I wasn't there, I know the very countercurse that would have saved her..." Professor Lockhart threw around his callous comments around haphazardly, fluttering around the other's like an overexcited bird.

Amisty winced as Flich sobbed, right on time with Lockhart's comments. He was sitting by the desk, head in his hands to muffle his heart wrenching cries.

Her attention was taken off that, however, when she heard the soft mumbling of spells. Professor Dumbledore had pulled out his wand, tapping Mrs. Norris tenderly. It didn't do anything.

" ... I remember something very similar happening in Ouagadogou, a series of attacks, the full story's in my autobiography, I was able to provide the townsfolk with various amulets, which cleared the matter up at once..." Professor Lockhart, completely blind to the weeping caretaker.