Chapter 1

Hello. I'm Hephzibah and you can also call me Joy. What's your name?

Don't forget those votes, BTW. They make me do a happy dance around my room. ;-)

Word count: 3162

Angela's POV
*

It was a Thursday evening and I'd just been called to come home for dinner. Mom had called since yesterday morning about the dinner and she'd said an important announcement would be made, so I shouldn't miss it.

And whenever my mom sounded that way, ninety percent of the time, it was usually truly an important one indeed.

So tell me why I came home, worried to death that my dad was sick or that something really bad had happened at the company, only to come home to meet my parents and older brother discussing my supposed 'arranged marriage?'

"What did you say, Stephano? Mom what is he talking about?" I whispered slowly, my eyes already narrowing into slits at their glum expressions. "He's joking, right?" I giggled nervously but no one laughed.

Then my laughter died down, dread sinking into my stomach with a hint of angst and irritation.

Because Stephano never joked. He was like that. He was always serious that I sometimes wondered how Kara, his wife was keeping up with his naturally bleak personality.

My eyes moved from one person to another. We were in my parent's sitting room and while they were sat on two different couches, I sat on my favorite rocking chair.

My gaze settled on Diego again as several thoughts ran inside my head by the minute.

It felt as if I hadn't heard him right. The three of them had their eyes on me. My dad's gaze was impassive. My mom's eyes had a bit of worry in them while Stephano's jaws were set tight. But as usual, his eyes which were the windows to the emotion and your soul, were blank.

I couldn't read anything from his expression.

Why did this have to be happening to me right now?

Why couldn't I just be happy for once, without my older brothers ruining it with their overprotective nature or my father having to chug some incomprehensive rules down my throat?!

The screeching of my grandpa chair resonated around the room as I got up and pushed it behind me with force. I used to love rocking myself on that chair but I really didn't care anymore. My hands were shaking but I ignored the tremor.

"What did you just say, dad?" I shouted.

He was still looking wary but as he eyed my pissed off form, his expression slipped into neutral. "You're getting engaged soon."

My face morphed into irritation.

"What do you mean I am getting engaged soon? That can't happen!"

"And why not?"

"Why not? 'Why not' you say, dad?! Well, I'm not ready to be tied down by anyone. I'm too young for all this relationship drama and you can't force me into any stupid marriage!"

"Angela!" My mom snapped. Then her eyes softened. "Please listen to your dad. He wants the best for you."

I scoffed. "This isn't him wanting the best for me, or for us mom, and you know it. He made Stephano promise to get married before what? Twenty nine? Then he knows he can't get a hold of his second son because Giuliano isn't a 'girl' and now dad wants to use me as a what? An asset to acquire more wealth?"

"You are crossing the line here Angela. Sit!" Stephano, my older brother commanded and I did as he said. Or rather, I did as he commanded.

Giuliano, my other brother wasn't present because he had an impromptu meeting and had to cancel dinner. Had I known this was the important announcement they needed to make, I wouldn't have come.