32 - TRUTH AMONGST THE LIE

The day dwindled into night, and we were getting closer and closer to what really happened. Dustin and Joshua had left the conference room a few hours after entering. They had felt their knowledge was unusable as they had never known their father in the first place. I personally think they were scared of Alec. They had seen what I was capable of, and they were not sure they could trust their older brother. I could not blame them for their fear. In a lot of ways, I saw quite a bit of Phillip inside of Alec, and it made me uneasy.

"Please explain the process from beginning to end again," Dawn requested rubbing her eyes.

"How hard is it to understand?" Alec asked on edge. He had been talking for hours, answering the same questions repeatedly. Each time he felt that we understood, only to have to repeat himself again.

"I just don't see how any of this works. My brush with the possessed didn't require a core integration, he just took control of the dead body in front of me." She looked at him and pressed her teeth together.

"Listen, dad would go hunting and find these beings. It didn't matter if they were Queen Conspirators or allied veterans. They needed bodies. Grandma couldn't inhabit any of them, but she wanted to build an army." Alec grumbled and placed his forehead on the table.

"What was she going to need the Army for?" I asked. My notebook was full of useful information, but there were still questions that had to be answered. This was the first time that Alec had mentioned anything about the Army.

"Originally it was thought that if the Doctor just flipped a switch inside of us, our bodies would be usable. Lidia learned rather quickly that was not the case. That is not until Doris." I watched Mags flinch. Alec had mentioned something she was trying to keep a secret from me.

"What is it?" I asked looking at the two of them.

"Don't freak out mom." Mags began with a sigh then glared at her brother. "The Doctor was able to flip both mutated genes on in Doris. She had your shapeshifting ability and dads magic. When grandma made the first possession Doris nearly died again."

"Doris' supernatural abilities were well crafted, but she was still somewhat human, she hadn't untapped the potential. If grandma continued to make these advances, she would push Doris out and take over the body temporarily. That is until they could find the Spark." Alec finished what his sister had been trying to say.

"That's why you didn't want to tell me where she was?" I asked Mags, and she shook her head.

"This is getting increasingly messed up by the minute," Dawn muttered shaking her head. "When I brought you here I was not expecting all of this. I thought I would have four full knowledgeable beings able to help me stop this from turning into another war. It looks like I was wrong. The war has been going on for some time. If I had known the situation your family was in Gretel, I would have tried to stop this ten years ago."

"You cannot blame yourself for the hardships my children faced. You weren't even born when my five oldest were taken from me. There was nothing you could have done to make any of this better." I looked at her with tears in my eyes. Her heart was so pure, and yet she still blamed herself for what had happened thirty years before her birth.

"Mags. Tell me everything that you remember." Dawn looked at my daughter and bit her bottom lip. Maybe if she got the stories from these two, as well as Michael's journal she would have a better understanding of motive.

"Of course, I don't remember my body being exhumed or being placed in a bath. I remember being lost in the darkness. Mom always told us the stories of reapers and demons. The only way you can be taken to the afterlife was by one of them. A reaper never came, and I was stuck in this darkness for what felt like an eternity. Finally, I heard a voice, and I followed it. Next thing I knew my eyes are open and I'm looking at the ceiling in this room. My father is there, and so is the Doctor. They tell me to rest. For several days I wasn't allowed to move or look in any mirrors. I didn't know what they had done to me. The last memory that I had was of two men entering the bank and several sharp pains." She looked at Alec. "I never had to go through what the others did. Dad felt that if they tried the gene therapy on me, it would only cause further deformities."