12 - THE DEMON MESSENGER

I was still living in Texas when a received a call from a very odd man. He was just over six foot, with jet black hair, and eyes to match. His scent was intoxicating, and it took everything in me not to drain him of his core right there on my front step. The only thing that stopped me was the way he smiled when he saw my face.

"Gretel Bradly?" he asked, aware that he was in danger if he did not speak first.

"Depends. Who's asking?" I narrowed my eyes at him.

"My name is Xic, and I am here on behalf of Dawn Weathers." He spoke matter-of-factly, and I was not sure if he knew my demeanor.

"Who?" I asked raising my eyebrows slightly. The name was not one that I knew well.

"Goodness, does her name ever get said before her status?" he groaned. "Ms. Weathers is the Fire Warden. You know I would think you of all people would be aware of her real name seeing as how old you are."

"You are not young yourself sir. What does the Fire Warden want from me?" I will admit I was flattered that she had sent a messenger to me at all. I was a fan of hers after all.

"We have a situation and require your presence in the City of the Sun," he answered again with the same tone.

"I have a feeling you are used to people doing exactly what you tell them to." I sighed and opened the door for him to enter my home. The boys were off at work, so the least I could do was entertain my guest in my own home.

"I only need a few minutes of your time," he promised as he stepped inside the house.

It was not extravagant, but I had done well with the New Age shop that I had opened. The boys and I needed for nothing, and while I pled for them to find women and marry, they refused to leave me. I walked into the living room and motioned for him to take a seat while I grabbed drinks from the kitchen. The last thing I needed was for him to return to the Fire Warden and tell her how unhospitable I was.

"So, what does Ms. Weathers want with me?" I asked as I handed the man a bottle of coke.

"She feels that you are the most reliable to provide background into the lives of both Alexander Greene and Phillip Bradly." He spoke as if my past was common knowledge.

I had kept my life a secret from the others, they made no connection with my last name, and I wanted it to be kept that way. We were still married by law, no matter if the Queen promised me amnesty somewhere else.

"What would I know of the family?" I asked coyly.

"Before Lilliana took the final death, she revealed to the Incubus council the fate of Elizabeth Bradly. Now it does not take a genius to figure out that you are somehow connected to this whole mess. You were wife to Phillip Bradly from 1933 to 1984, when you mysteriously took leave with your two sons. You have been quite a few places, Mrs. Bradly. Lilliana was able to reveal a lot about you in such a short time." Xic narrowed his eyes to a point I was not so sure this was a friendly call.

"And the Fire Warden wants to end my life just as she did Lilliana's?" I asked.

"Oh, no! Quite the opposite. She feels you would be better suited in dealing with our little dilemma."

I was officially confused. What did she want me for?

"What could the Fire Warden want from me? It's been decades since I set foot in that house." I mumbled hoping he got to the point quickly.

"There is a girl that we think you can help. We know you mothered seven children to Phillip Bradly and each of them, in turn, were human. As odd as it is, it is not uncommon. We think that he has turned to another powerful being in hopes of fathering an extraordinary child." He was fidgeting. Did he really think that telling me of my husband's infidelity was going to cause me to go into a fit of rage?