31 - THE TRAITOR TRIAL

Alec was brought in, his hands in chains. It nearly broke my heart to see him so vulnerable with the guards on both sides of him. He looked at me, and his eyes hardened. Maybe my appearance was not as appreciated as I had hoped it would be. He took a seat at the long table while a man stood up to give his speech. There was no prosecution, only the lawyer, and the two judges. I found it odd that the supernatural court was different from that of humanity. Why not have a prosecution table there to assist in getting the truth? Then again maybe Dawn's mother counted as the prosecution, knowing full well she could pull the truth from Lucifer himself if given the opportunity.

"The lawyer is my father. You already know the Creators." Dawn whispered.

I glanced at her quickly. Her blood was rooted deeply in this mess. With the presence of both her parents, it was evident the severity of the case. I met many extraordinary beings throughout my lifetime, but none of them were this deep in the political affairs of the whole supernatural community. Dawn was the first being that I met who did not mind being in the middle of any mess. All she wanted to do was stop it, learn from it, and make sure it never happened again. With each passing day, my respect towards the woman continued to grow. It did not matter her age, it was what was in her heart. She was pure and only held good intentions.

"What happens now?" I asked pulling myself back to the reality at hand.

"My mother will pull the truth from him. From there the Creators will decide if he is fit to stay in the city, or if he needs to be moved to one of the other locations for rehabilitation." Dawn looked back towards the front and flashed everyone a huge smile.

"Rehabilitation?" I asked, too scared to know the truth of what she was talking about.

"Oh no, Gretel," Dawn replied looking at me her eyes wide. "It's nothing like that. It's merely a teaching of rules and regulations. We know there are still sympathizers out there. All we want is to live in harmony. Make sure that nobody is purposefully hurt. Those that undergo the therapy are taught what they need to know about the other side of the line."

"How long does that take?" All right, so her explanation was not as bad as I had thought it would be.

"It depends really, sometimes it takes only a few weeks, and sometimes it takes a few years." She sighed. I could tell the last part of her statement bothered her. How could it take someone years to finally grasp rules and regulations to live in the world again?

I sat for a moment and looked at the back of Alec's head. If this truth was not enough to keep him here, how long would it be before I would see him again? Would I see him again? He had a lot of hatred towards me. Not only for the gene switch that Lidia pulled, but also the jealousy towards Mags. There had to be a reason Phillip kept Alec a secret from me. Could it be because he was just like me? Was it because Philip knew that by keeping our son away from me he would develop some kind of mommy issue? Or in all honesty, could it be everything that I was thinking? Alec was confident that his father had not lied to him, then here I came telling him that his father was the one that was a conniving monster in this mess. It must have been a lot to process.

When Alec was called to the stand, he walked the best he could with the shackles around his wrists and feet. Taking a seat, he looked out over the audience, his eyes resting on me yet again. They hardened, and his jaw tensed. What I was about to hear was not what I was expecting.

"For the record could you please state your name," Lucifer asked with a smirk on his face. I did not know the man, but I had a feeling the traitor trials made him giddy. He was probably taking notes on who to expect in Hell. I had a feeling that many of these beings on trial would find a way to end their long lives.