The Crimson Claymore: Chapter 21

Chapter 21

A loud crash in the middle of the night woke Searon, whose eyes jolted open. He moved his head on the pillow and shrank it back when his face sank into a large puddle of drool. Licking his lips, he sat up on his bed and heard another crash followed by a scream. His eyes grew wider, and he yawned loudly before getting to his feet. He looked around for his claymore before discovering that it was still attached at his side. His head shook tiredly, and he banged on the door in his room that connected to room seventeen.

When there was no response, he opened it to see Karceoles stumbling to get his brown robe back on. He seemed to struggle, but he didn't look like he had been asleep yet.

"Did you hear that, Karceoles?"

"Yes, yes. I will meet you outside, and we'll investigate."

Searon nodded and was about to turn back in his room when he noticed the bed to his left with two women hiding under a white sheet. One was blonde and the other brunette, and both looked scared as they looked around each time a loud noise came from downstairs. He blinked his eyes a few times as he looked at them until he finally recognized the two. They were the dancers, Berethana and Annettera, naked under near-see-through white cotton sheets, cuddled together. Searon shook his head and slammed the door behind him.

Searon waited in the hall for a few minutes before Karceoles appeared with staff in hand and a grim look on his face as another crash of metal was heard. Searon sprinted toward the stairs, holding his head intact from the throbbing of drinking.

At the bottom of the stairs toward the exit of the pub there were three warriors behind an overturned table, looking outside. All had swords drawn and fear on their shaking faces. Searon and Karceoles ran up next to them, and they nearly jumped from their socks.

"What seems to be the problem?" Searon asked.

"Another raid!"

Searon sighed, "Conflict between the villages."

"No...there hasn't been any of that in years, not since the creatures came. It is they who raid our villages now."

"Draeyks," Karceoles spat.

"I've never heard of those, no, these are called daerions, and they are evil and strong. Too strong."

"Daerions?" Karceoles gasped. He stood and looked to Searon. "Come, we must stop them, but be cautious, these aren't mere draeyks you fight anymore."

Searon's eyebrows rose as he followed, but first he called back, "Do not cower in fear, help us, and fight!"

Searon stepped outside and unsheathed his crimson-glowing claymore. In the streets, half the warriors ran in fear as the others fought on. Most that fought fell down either injured or dead from such a formidable foe. Searon caught a glimpse of them in the faint starlight. The creatures were shorter than the draeyks, at only five feet, but were much broader and muscular. Their skin was rough, leathery, and dark blue in color. Each held a short sword or mace and slashed at anything that came close to them with more weaponry skill than any of the draeyks. They wore tight, ripped black breeches but no shirts or shoes. Their feet had four toes with long midnight-blue claws.

Rushing forward, Searon slashed his claymore forward to be blocked by a short sword. He looked into the large cold, unblinking oval eyes of the creature in front of him. They were pitch black in color and stared back at him in wonder. Its face was hard and cruel with two large horns extruding from the top of its head down to its jaw. They were black in color and similar to those of a ram except harder and thinner. It had a pointed jaw and large snarling black teeth at least two centimeters in length.