The Crimson Claymore: Chapter 46

Chapter 46

Birds chirped in a chorus with each other, awaking Searon in the morning. He lay on a couch with his eyes opened as he took in the melody of the various birds outside. They were soothing to him as he struggled to his feet. He could not remember a more peaceful night of rest. The wine had really relaxed him, and he was thankful. The sun shone brightly through the cabin, and he wondered what time it was. It appeared nearly midday, and he couldn't remember the last time he slept so late.

He walked around wondering where Starlyn got off to. She was nowhere in the main room of the cabin or outside. Cupboards were partly open throughout as if she left in a hurry. He went to the back room and knocked gently, feeling the hardened wood under his knuckles. Everything was quiet, and after a moment he tried knocking again before giving up and stalking back to the front room. He took a deep breath, inhaling pine that soothed his nose and throat. The cabin smelled like it was still fresh, and even although pine always held a fresh smell compared to other woods, he wondered if her cabin was alive and still growing. He shook the thought from his head and grabbed his claymore as he paced out the cabin.

Something unsettling rolled inside of his belly as he left. He couldn't think of any reason for her departure without telling him, and he began to worry about her whereabouts. She drank as well, so her tolerance of the dream wine must have been much higher than his own because it put him right to sleep. He stopped in his tracks as he realized he hadn't had any dreams of Victoria or his son. It was one of the few times he hadn't had nightmares of the draeyks' attack. Shivers traveled down him as he looked around.

He stood inside Sudegam on a gloomy day; the sun hid behind luscious white clouds in an overcast sky. Wind gusted across his face, giving him chills, and he continued walking into the city.

Searon stopped when he found a shop called Herbal Enchantments and decided to go inside for a look. Outside, a pile of gray stones stacked tightly together to make an oval building. At the door, a rectangle of real grass grew while all around it was dirt. Searon wiped his feet on it and opened the door.

Inside, shelves were everywhere with herbs and flowers of every color. They ranged from green to red to blue to white to yellow. Each had labels and was categorized as either seasonings, medicinal, conditioning, or essence.

"May I help you?" a tender voice asked.

Searon turned to stare at the counter where he saw the strangest kheshlar he'd ever laid eyes on. Her appearance differed completely from any other kheshlar. Her skin didn't match the pale blue of the kheshlars, or even pale green of Anaela, but instead was dark milk chocolate. At first, he wasn't sure if she even was a kheshlar until he noticed her silver eyebrows that didn't seem to match her shoulder-length ebony hair. She smiled, showing her beautiful white teeth that nearly blinded him.

He walked over to the counter and put his hand out. "My name is Searon."

"I know, you are well known, even for us kheshlars. My name is Aliuqa. Is there anything you are looking for?"

"I am just looking. I have never been in a shop like this before," Searon admitted.

"Ah, well, there are some herbs that may be useful to you on your journey; follow me."

She walked into a back room through a maroon sheet that hung on the wall. Searon followed, and she pulled the sheet out of the way for him to step inside. The silk brushed across his arm and gave him shivers as he entered.

Inside were no windows, but the entire room was lit by candlelight. Lavender candles filled the shelves at every corner and let out a flowery scent. The aromas of the candles and all the herbs were causing Searon lightheadedness. Most of the smells were lovely separately, but as they blended together it caused him dizziness.