The Crimson Claymore: Chapter 13

Chapter 13

A chilling breeze swept the cavern followed by thunder that shook the ground. Small pebbles broke and collapsed from the top of the cavern that brought chills to even Searon. Starlyn kicked rocks as she huddled over to a corner to shiver. She seemed to be trying to find warmth where there was none. Andron quickly followed her removing his thick, plain brown leather embroidered jacket to cover her. She looked up to him and smiled with gratitude. Each had taken their heavy armor off now to be rid of the metal that might attract the storm. Instead, they wore leather armor of lighter weight and greater warmth that Searon kept in his saddlebags.

Searon stood his ground, still staring at the wizard without a flinch. "I mean it, Karceoles."

"What ever do you mean?"

"Don't you ever do anything like that again."

"What was it that I did?"

A vein appeared on Searon's temple that trembled fiercely, to match his green eyes, colder than ice. He rubbed his partially overgrown goatee with frustration as he nearly snarled openly. Brushing his tangled shoulder-length brown hair from his face, he tugged at it tightly, biting his teeth.

"Don't you ever do something stupid like that again. There is no use endangering all of our lives. Next time, I will take that zylek from you and whack you in the head with it. We will make a plan that is agreed upon; then, and only then, will we proceed."

"Now where is the fun in that?" the wizard asked with a crooked grin.

Andron croaked a laugh, brushing his long black hair from his eyes, "This man is something else."

Searon eyed Andron harshly, causing the other man to quickly close his mouth and continue brushing his hair. Of all the things he kept in his sash, a brush seemed to be his most important. His hair was looking rather better than it had since waking from the coma, and his brush was to thank for that. It was a span long with a thick wooden handle that had three distinct chips in it on the bottom, and it was crafted from stained cherry wood. He hadn't stopped brushing his hair for the past few hours, and instead of a mess of tangles it was very nearly straight once again.

"Just you wait, I am full of surprises," Karceoles winked with a smirk.

"That is exactly what I'm afraid of. One of your thick-skulled surprises is going to get us all killed."

"Before you met me, you seemed to embrace death."

"Death will come whether we want it to or not, and I chose to face it head on."

"Why do you choose differently now?"

Searon turned around and stared at the ground, "Now...there is a chance. Finally, a chance has arisen to strike the heart of the draeyks." He turned back to face Karceoles dead in the eyes. "I fully intend to ensure the draeyks are no more."

"As do I," Starlyn said, standing up.

The black leather armor that she wore was tight on her skin, showing her cleavage. It clung skintight to her. Her blonde hair was tangled, and she often glanced toward Andron's brush as if she wished she had one to tame her own hair. She shifted slightly before glaring at the wizard with clear distaste.

"I stand with you as well. I swear to fight alongside you until we have vanquished these creatures from the land and bring peace once again throughout the kingdoms."

It was Searon's turn to shift uneasily now. "I do not know about bringing peace between the kingdoms. They have always seemed at each other's throats, with clashes and raids. My only wish is to destroy the draeyks."