The Crimson Claymore: Chapter 42

Chapter 42

Rest felt like something of the past as Searon pressed forward with his stallion between the vast hills heading south. He had to make sure his army stayed far behind him and kept quiet, a task that he presented to Etherond in hopes that his loud mouth could stay silent if for only a time. Only Karceoles kept pace with him on his own horse, and the two of them kept an eye on the steady army of draeyks and daerions that headed south. They would arrive at the forest soon, and it would prove even harder to keep an eye on them without being seen or losing them. Searon knew that he would have to place scouts through the forest, but he hoped that they would not be discovered, otherwise their surprise attack would be in vain.

Through the midst of the army, there appeared to be a man in black robes mounted on a tall ebony stallion, zylek in hand, and barking orders to all the creatures surrounding him. There was a familiarity about him, and after a moment Searon recognized him as the same man from Legain. Before, he hadn't noticed that he was a wizard because he was hiding in his hood without a zylek to be seen, but now his hood was down and dark-gray hair tangled down past his chest. In his hands he held a twisted wooden zylek warped in shadows to match his dark attire.

Soon, the thin pine trees and autumn maples and oaks became thicker pine, and they knew they were drawing closer to the kheshlarn territory. With the abundant amount of large pine, it made it easier for them to hide in the shadows behind the army. It was not difficult to track them with how primitive they were. They were also able to resume conversations at a quiet whisper without fear of being overheard.

"They have a wizard," Searon said.

"No follower of the dark is considered a wizard," Karceoles said trotting next to him.

"Dark wizard?" Searon asked.

"Dare I call a kheshlar one of your kind, a dark human?"

"I suppose you could, that is, if you really wanted to. I, however, find that fallen or wicked would fit nicer."

"Wicked?"

Searon smirked, "Yeah, wicked wizard."

"If you want to act a fool, then yes you may call him that. However, a warlock would be what he truly is. A corrupted wizard that has fallen to the darker powers of magic where power means more to him than preservation of life."

"Warlock, got it."

"His name is Zergiel, once he was a guardian of peace – a part of the magic council that protected these lands," Karceoles said.

"There is a council that protects Calthoria?"

"Not anymore, it has long since disbanded. Long ago there were dark times where there were far more evil than mere draeyks and daerions tormenting the land. The last effective use of the council would have been the battle against the dragons. There are few of us left, Shronan and I are all that is left I'm afraid except for Zergiel. Most of the mages and wizards have since been lost or destroyed, and if there are any druids left they have not let themselves be known."

"Druids?"

"They are more a legend now than a reality; once they roamed the land through the forests, protecting the wildlife with magic and being one with nature. This was back when kheshlars did not fear magic, but practiced it with druid help. Nature was more alive when they were about than ever."

"So what happened to Zergiel?" Searon asked.

"He betrayed the guardians, killing many of them, craving power in the end before he disappeared."

Searon left the matter there as he saw that the topic didn't seem to be one of the wizard's favorites. The forest continued to get thicker around them as they entered in kheshlarn territory with trees so tall that they made all the men appear insignificant in comparison. He decided to wait for attack until they were far enough in the kheshlarn territory that would leave no choice but for the kheshlars to defend their land, but not too far in that harm would come to them. There was a long stretch of kheshlarn territory that many roamed before entering the capital of Sudegam.