The Crimson Claymore: Chapter 31

Chapter 31

After a while, Searon, Karceoles, and another young man came up the hill and met with them. The army stayed down the hill and waited.

"Is this your brother?" Andron asked, trying to find the resemblance between the two men but somehow missing it.

"No, my brother wasn't able to make it; he's managing the defenses of his city. This is his captain, Phoenix."

Phoenix held his hand out and shook it with everybody there.

"This is Sh'on, a mage, who once helped us kheshlars against the draeyk," Starlyn said.

Sh'on bowed and shook Searon's and Phoenix's hands. Then he stood in front of Karceoles. "Hello, Cousin."

"How have you been, Shronan? I haven't seen you in a very long time."

"I've been traveling the universe; I always have to be where something is happening. So when this world doesn't need me, I travel to another."

"How exactly?" Karceoles raised an eyebrow.

"Ah...now that is my little secret."

"It's nice seeing you again; are you ready to get this started?"

Sh'on nodded.

"Are we going to head out in the morning?" Etherond asked.

"Who's this?" Karceoles asked, bewildered.

"My name is Etherond; I'm leader of these 'ere men," Etherond said, pointing over the hill.

"Let's give our army a day's rest; so we'll leave day after tomorrow's morning," Karceoles announced.

"The men are well rested and ready for battle."

"Ours are not; one more day isn't going to strain you, Captain Etherond."

"Let us not be bitter but instead rejoice in the presence of each other. Tonight, let there be a feast—and ale!" Xython stepped up and clasped his hand upon Etherond's shoulder.

During the night, there was a celebration of the armies. There were some who drank too much, but most only drank enough to feel a slight relaxation. Most knew that at any given moment they could be attacked or be called for an attack. Andron and those from his town pulled out the pipe weed and shared with anybody willing to try it.

In a large crimson tent around a table sat all of the captains of the armies. Searon sat at the head with Starlyn and Karceoles on his sides. The wizard was smoking his pipe with the newfound pipe weed that Andron had introduced to him. Sh'on sat next to Karceoles, watching the wizard as if he were watching a child. Beyond that, it was Andron who sat next to Starlyn with Phoenix by his side, followed by Xython, Dennark, Mattenyi, and Extodus. On the other side next to Sh'on were Etherond, Leinard, Drahcirch, and Nhorjah.

The fourteen of them sat around the table as they ate quite the feast. Many discussions were going on about battle tactics as well as the course of attack that would make the most sense. The table and tent that they sat in were removed from one of the large wagons so they could make a command center. In the morning, it would be taken down after they decided their course of action. The decisions were to be made during the course of the meal.

"I don't understand why we can't strike the heart of the filthy creatures," Etherond said with gravy dripping from his mouth and fist pounding on the table.

"Only fools rush in...you fool. What you desire will kill many more men than is necessary. There are other ways to approach this," Sh'on said.

"The element of surprise would be effective; we should bash their heads in!" Drahcirch said as he brushed his medium chestnut hair from his eyes.