The Crimson Claymore: Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Pacing from north to south in long strides, Karceoles held his hands behind his back and stared solemnly at the ground. Beetles scurried about, and he was careful to avoid them. Some were small, clicking beetles and others tri-horn beetles. Sighing, he lifted up a small clicking beetle by its backside and held it close to his ear. He heard the continuous clicking it created by snapping its head in an attempt to jump. Letting go, he watched as it snapped once more, diving into the air.

Something felt wrong to him, very wrong, but he wasn't sure what it was. It had been a great while since both Searon and Starlyn had left to search for herbs. They shouldn't have been gone so long, since they'd traveled by horseback, and already the sun was setting. Cursing under his breath, he tore his long-stem pipe from the pouch on his robe. After lighting it with magic channeled through his zylek, he puffed heavily, feeling the calming tobacco and herbs settle his mind. His head spun only slightly, but at least he wasn't as worried anymore.

A whisper in the distance startled the wizard, and he turned, only seeing a dark shadow scurry by. He focused his mind on fire, and from within he felt his power bind at his zylek, ready to be released. The energy streamed through him, bringing him more alive. Whatever had passed through him was now gone, and he let his power dissipate regretfully. He loved the burn of fire he felt within him whenever he channeled it. It was probably the reason he only chose to bind with the element of fire. Many wizards preferred water or earth, but not Karceoles. He was the first wizard in thousands of years that preferred fire above all and wasn't corrupted by it.

He stalked back to where the unconscious man lay and looked at him. Is this single man worth all the risk? I do feel something in him, something great. He is still not as important as Searon...but he is important. Yes...the risk is worth it. Where are you, Searon? His mind rattled, and he knelt down to check the man's pulse. It still beat strong, although it was slow at pace. He heard a crow in the distance, and fire pulsed through him again into his zylek, and a small but effective fireball emerged from its tip that chased the crow away. Crows were scavengers that often brought death even when it didn't seem near. He did not know if they were evil creatures or not, but he wasn't willing to take the risk.

Hearing hoof beats in the distance, he turned abruptly, holding his zylek high and awaiting anything that scurried through the bushy trees. He saw a jaguar emerge carrying Starlyn, who clutched tightly at the animal's fur. Directly behind her was the white-and-black striped horse of Searon. The human seemed to clutch tightly to the reins of the horse, as if for dear life, and slumped ever so slightly in his saddle. He was injured, or at least weak, and Karceoles clutched his zylek in a frenzy, feeling the pinprick of a thousand needles travel through his hand.

The horse and jaguar stopped abruptly, and Starlyn slid off the animal and got to her feet. She proceeded by helping Searon off of his saddle carefully. Karceoles watched in horror as Searon limped forward to meet the wizard. There was something else too, something that both seemed to be hiding. Karceoles was no fool though and could see the radiance in Starlyn's eyes and hair that showed affection toward Searon. It was affection past that of a travel companion, and the wizard knew they had shared a moment. However brief it might have been, the two were connected now, and it tied their plan in knots. He only hoped the two of them had enough sense to keep their minds clear.

"What took you so long?" Karceoles's eyes squinted to look from one to the other.

"It took longer than expected to find all the herbs and flowers," Starlyn spat.

Karceoles watched as Starlyn blushed ever so slightly before regaining her composure. It was long enough for him to see her rosy cheeks and all the confirmation he needed. She glared at Searon with a warning glance, and he shifted uneasily. Looking at Karceoles now, Searon nodded.