The Crimson Claymore: Chapter 43

Chapter 43

Starlyn strode up to the king's chambers only to be blocked by the guard withdrawing two scimitars. The king's guard, Vil'ek, stepped forward, eyebrows raised, as menacing as a jaguar prepared to protect its kin. No thoughts protruded into Starlyn's mind other than the fact she had to plead with the king to listen to her demands to help Searon, her friend. Everybody was in danger, even the kheshlars, but she knew that it would be nigh impossible to convince the stubborn king. There was little hope that the kheshlars would rally behind her again after the last time she drove them into battle, yet that wasn't what she wanted. Even though she hated to admit it, she felt that even losing the wizard would be a blow to her heart. She knew Searon well enough by now to know that no matter if the kheshlars came to help or not, he would lead his men into battle in an attempt to at least preserve the kheshlars as long as he could.

"Let me pass," she demanded.

"What is your business with the king?" Vil'ek asked.

"A threat approaches the capital. I must speak with him."

Her breath came in gasps since she'd reached Sudegam in a matter of only a few hours. Nothing dared get in her way or slow her down, not even the hand of the kheshlarn king. She stepped forward toward the golden doors of the throne room

He stared at her for only a moment, searching her eyes before sheathing his weapons and stepping aside. The doors clambered open, and the scraping metal echoed throughout the chambers. Vil'ek kept at her heel, trying to cease her speed but failed as she ran up the steps to the king.

Elsargast pondered scrolls as he sat upon his golden throne, without a look of fret upon his ageless, wrinkleless face. Annoyance stained his expression as he glanced up from his studies toward Starlyn, who swiftly bowed before him.

"What is it, my child?" Elsargast asked with distaste in his mouth.

"An army approaches our land, my king. Thousands strong, both draeyks and daerions amid the ranks."

"How have you come across this information?"

"I traveled north with Searon and the wizard to the draeyk settlements. Abandoned...all of them. He keeps pace with the rear of their army, but they press on directly toward us. Searon plans to strike them from behind, my king, as soon as they enter our territory, but he won't be able to stop them. There are too many."

"Are you sure of what you've seen?"

"Do you not trust one of your own, my king?"

"Not one that holds the company of a human. Especially when traveling with a wizard who desperately wants me to join this silly war of his."

"Karceoles might be outspoken and rash, my king, but foolish he is not. He saw this war coming and did all in his power to stop it. Nobody took him seriously, and now an army approaches our land."

"Will this human army weaken them so, that when they strike we can easily finish them off?"

"I beg of you, my lord, there is little time. If we don't help them out, they will be no more. Is that what they deserve for trying to protect our race? They will be slowed and weakened attacking us, but it will still happen. If this is a full-scale war, any allies we can get will be useful."

Elsargast calmly rolled up his scroll and neatly tied the purple ribbon onto it before placing it on the ground with the rest. Footsteps rang through the hall, and three kheshlars entered the throne room, each bowing in turn to their king. Vil'ek stepped between them and the king with hands on scabbards.

"My lord," one of them said, "a threat approaches our northern borders. Draeyks and some blue beast. They appear to be marching toward us."

"Very well," the king sighed. "Vil'ek, head into the city, and seek anybody willing to fight on such short notice. Have them join together north of Sudegam. Lead a force against this army, and protect our lands. Wedge them between you and this human army at their head, and destroy all between."