The Crimson Claymore: Chapter 15

Chapter 15

Searon held the final watch into the morning and was relieved when he saw the sun glistening through the few openings of the trees. The eerie, near-silent darkness of the abandoned city was chilling to say the least. He nudged Andron first, who awoke with a stir and a yawn. He rose to his feet and then croaked loudly, covering his mouth. His finger sprang forward to point as his eyes bulged. Searon turned to see what he was pointing at and found the wizard lying on his back. His arms were bent at the elbow with hands by his shoulders folding forward like a dog. He twitched in his sleep slightly, and his mouth was open with hanging tongue, drool pouring from his mouth. However, the oddest thing about it was that his eyes seemed to flutter between half-closed and half-open.

Barely containing laughing for a few seconds, Searon finally gave in and chuckled loudly, which stirred both Karceoles and Starlyn. Andron soon joined in, and both croaked so loud with laughter that tears came to their eyes. Both Starlyn and Karceoles leaped up, fishing for weapons to hold in their hands. The wizard appeared upset at being awoken in such a way, but Starlyn seemed amused.

"What! What is it?" Karceoles asked.

Both laughed harder now, and Searon fought the tears from his eyes with his hand. "Nothing, nothing, my friend."

"Should we be off then?" Andron asked with laughter still in his voice.

"Yes...yes, I think so," Searon replied with a more solemn tone.

"Do we dare take a peek inside the palace?"

"I say nay, I have been inside one home already and have not liked what I saw."

"The spiderwebs?" asked Starlyn.

"No...that was to be expected. It was not the decades of spiderwebs that brought cold bumps to my arms, but what lay within the room itself."

"What did you see?" she asked.

"I thought kheshlars were to have the fairest eyesight of them all; did you not glance upon the room yourself?"

"My thoughts were clouded, but I should have. I should not have let my emotions get the best of me." She lowered her head as if in failure.

Searon set his fingers beneath her chin and lifted it up. "You had reason for thoughts to be astray. Do not deem yourself at fault, for I will not have it."

She nodded, and her appearance seemed to brighten slightly.

"What I saw was that of an abandoned home. Everything in the home seemed to still be in order, paintings and furnishings alike. Also, the kitchen held bowls of a meal that appeared to have only a few bites missing. All the remaining food was crusty and old from centuries. It almost seemed as if they left suddenly, without taking a scrap or moving anything. Either that or..."

"Or what?" asked Andron.

"The only other thing I can think of...is that they simply vanished. I do not like this place; let us be gone swiftly."

Karceoles stepped forward now with a raised gray eyebrow. His grip on his zylek seemed to tighten, and yet he peered at the buildings and palace.

"I know of that look, Karceoles. No, I will not stay here, and neither will you if you wish to continue on my journey. I know of your curiosity, and we shall not be burdened with it now. If this war comes to an end with us victorious, feel free to travel back here and try to put to rest the questions rolling in your head. For I, I do not care, and I value my life right now too much to chance it here when I can do good elsewhere in a fight."

The wizard nodded and held his head high with pride. Soon, they were packed and saddled up, and by midmorning they had left the abandoned city. Searon was glad to be away from the cursed place, as were the rest—besides the wizard, who continued to peer back behind his steed to glance upon the city.