The Crimson Claymore: Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Searon's horse pranced forward through the small meadow with Starlyn at his back, clutching hard onto his plate mail. She seemed uneasy at traveling on a saddle and behind Searon. It could probably be assumed that it was both her first time on a saddle and riding behind someone. When they reached the end of the meadow through the thickening sun, she whispered in his ear to stop. He clutched the reins, causing Stripes to halt, and he looked around. The meadow was clear besides a few fluffy white clouds above them that only blocked enough sun to withstand being completely blinded by its bright yellow rays.

She gently dropped to the ground and stalked over to a small bush with large leaves and violet flowers. Searon kept on his horse, stroking his mane for comfort while watching Starlyn out of the corner of his eye. She brushed her hands through the five large flowers as if searching for the perfect one. Finally satisfied, she pulled two and held them tight to her chest as she made her way back to him. She handed him the two flowers, and he studied them curiously. Both were deep blue in color and turned bright green near the petals. The two flowers must have been hard to find when the majority of them on the bush were violet. He cautiously wrapped them in a red linen handkerchief and stuffed them in an empty saddlebag.

She lifted herself back onto the saddle and sat behind him, tugging at her hair.

"What are those called?" he asked.

"Adueur... they are rare in these colors and hold more healing potency than the purples...and they're less bitter."

Searon watched as her glittering sunflower-blonde hair fluttered in the wind. Her electric silvery eyes resembled jolts of electricity that bolted outward from her pupils and sparkled to match the stars at night. Her beauty outmatched any human that he had ever met, and yet he felt nothing for her. Nobody could tear away the love he had felt for his wife, and even though her physical beauty hadn't compared to this kheshlar before him, in his eyes Victoria was absolute perfection.

He became lost in thought, and her body faded out of existence, replaced with memories.

* * *

Victoria clutched at his waist as he rode off into the sunset to begin his life anew with her in it. There was something about the way she clutched at him as they rode into the sunset atop his brown mare. She seemed to want the closeness with him but was still afraid of what kind of person he was. He knew he would have to prove himself to her before she fully trusted him. She had accepted his proposal, but she was still reticent about accepting him as a husband.

When they arrived at his small gray slate home, he noticed her anticipation. Worry stained her face at what his intentions were, and he had to prove himself to her that he was kind. After dismounting, he gracefully lifted her into his arms and pushed open his front door. Inside, candlelight lit the room, and it was larger than it appeared from the outside. He strode into the bedroom with her still in his arms before he rested her on his bed. She looked up at him with concern on her face, and he leaned down to kiss her on the forehead.

"Rest well, my darling fiancée."

Without pausing to see her reaction, he left the bedroom to rest in his chair in the front room. He pulled out his pipe and lit it carefully, pondering the events of the day. In his room rested the most beautiful woman he had ever come across. It wasn't only that, but she glowed unlike any other as if the heavens were making her known to him. He rested his pipe on the small table and shut his eyes to patiently wait for the next morning.

The next morning, he awoke to the smell of fresh porridge lingering under his nose. He opened his eyes to see Victoria dressed in loose cotton clothes of his, setting two bowls of porridge on his cedar table with two cups of fresh squeezed orange juice. His eyebrows rose as he got to his feet and approached her.