The Crimson Claymore: Chapter 18

Chapter 18

Starlyn awoke as the sun edged toward the trees to the west. Twilight covered the ground now, and many of the afternoon hours had passed in rest. No longer was the blazing sun making her weary, but instead the night chill gave her comfort. She did not sweat but a few droplets even during the highest point of the sun, but she noticed Andron drenched in it even when covered in shade. Kheshlars were different from humans and didn't strain from the temperatures of either hot or cold. When kheshlars would sweat it was because of thought and not heat. Still, she was parched, and she drained the contents of her water skin into her mouth. She walked forward to the pond where she filled it to the top, unaware of how much farther it would be until another fresh water source could be found. The lands before her were strange, and even during her adventures in battle against the draeyks, she had not traveled this far.

Andron still lay peacefully against the tree, snoring lightly with mouth open. She smiled as she nudged him, and his eyes opened slowly with strain to glance at her.

"Has it reached our hour to go already?" he yawned.

"I'm afraid so. Do not fret, for we shall start slow."

He yawned again and took his water skin to his mouth. It emptied quickly, and he frowned. Walking to the pond, he filled it quickly and stretched lazily.

"Aw, but I wish we did not have to leave so hastily. I would very much like to smoke my pipe once more. I deem we take a fitting rest once we arrive at my city."

"It shall be. Yet if you wish, you may smoke once more before we travel forth."

"There shouldn't be too many enemies about hopefully. Perhaps only a little, though when we reach a city I will be in dire need of an ale."

Starlyn smiled. "When we reach a city, I will buy you the first ale."

"My foot will press faster with that news; will you drink with me?"

"Kheshlars do not drink ale or beer."

Andron frowned with the saddest face he could fathom, and Starlyn laughed.

"Perhaps I will have a glass of wine."

"That will suit. But we've talked too long; let us be off."

Andron walked alongside Starlyn, and she could smell the rich aroma of pipe weed beside her. Erenuyh hung back ten paces watching them, but he did not speak or make a sound. His eyes seemed ever moving, as if searching the darkness for any friend or foe. Starlyn did not know much about the strange kheshlar other than his skill with a bow. His leader, Vaelmirr, had been a good friend of hers in the war of shadow against the draeyks, and she trusted his counsel of taking this kheshlar with them. As of yet, his usefulness wasn't known.

The stars above shone brightly as happy thoughts fluttered her mind. Soon, she would travel into a human town and make her presence known. She would be the first kheshlar revealed to the outside world. Fear and pride both overtook her as she thought. The king, Elsargast, would probably greatly disapprove of her quest. She did not seem to mind or care, though, because her focus was blind to those of the kheshlars. All that she wanted was to cause death and destruction to the draeyks. They were despicable creatures that warped the mind of her sister. Beyond all else, all that she wanted was her sister back. Not this new "undead kheshlar" that Karceoles had called her, but the true Arria, with the heart of gold.

The moon was a crescent that night, yet beautiful amid the stars. When all else failed of bringing a smile to her face, the night sky was always there to cheer her up. Every time she would glance upon it, there would be a smile to meet her face. She felt stronger during the night than at day. In that way, she was different from her sister. Her sister had always seemed stronger during the day with the bright sun about her face. Still, many nights they enjoyed watching the stars together.