The Crimson Claymore: Chapter 19

Chapter 19

The sun was setting beyond the western trees as they arrived at the tall gray stone gate of the first village. It appeared as if it was the only one to have such a gate, but it was to be expected since it was the closest one to the trees, and closest to possible attack. Nobody wandered outside except the two guards who held position as still as a statue. Both were clad in thick silver plate mail armor, square steel helms with wide visors for eyes, and an opening that traveled thinly down to the jaw so only an inch of the mouths could be seen.

"Halt, who comes to Erdunadir, and what is your business here?"

Searon faltered and looked at the wizard.

"We come from the far city of Guerettos near the sea of the north. We travel this way, as it is the swiftest way without boarding ship, and we are passing through to the city of Legain for urgent family business."

The two guards looked at each other for a moment before nodding. "Very well, you may pass through, but if you cause any mischief, your weapons will be forfeited."

Searon nodded and urged his horse forward through the now-open gate. He stopped short and turned to the guards. "My throat is quite parched after such a long journey; tell me, if you may, where is a good tavern to wet my throat?"

"The Dancing Donkey is a fine inn and pub three hundred paces in and on the east."

"Thank you kindly sir," Searon nodded and flipped a gold coin in the air that the guard caught and nodded.

Inside, the village was simple, and only a few traveled the streets. It was probably only those trying to make it back home for meals, or those who attempted to find pubs to eat and drink. The buildings were rustic stone of mostly gray and tan in various sizes throughout the streets. There were a lot of stands on the side of the streets, but not many were manned for selling goods and probably wouldn't be until the morning arrived. Searon did have to shake his head at a few merchants that tried to sell him weapons or jewelry. Black smoke seemed to appear from every chimney that was a home rather than business, although a lot of businesses were breathing smoke as well because of the owners that probably lived somewhere inside.

The night air grew cold around them, and Searon shivered slightly, hoping to find a warm tavern and inn soon. Now that they were so far south, the nights were brisk with chill indeed. After another few minutes of enjoying the homely scenery of the village; they arrived at a red sign with a white donkey standing on two legs and smoking a pipe. The Dancing Donkey Inn & Pub. Searon smiled and got off of Stripes, grabbing a small coin bag, to look inside. He petted his horse behind the ears before pushing the two wooden swinging doors in.

Inside of the pub was loud and obnoxious as men hollered about, clapping their hands and stomping their feet to the beat of music. The floors were dark stained wood with only scarce stains from beer and ale, showing that it was well maintained. Nearly a dozen serving maids wearing red cloth dresses with white lace and lining patrolled the areas to bring new drinks and clean messes. Every now and then, one would jump after passing by a table of men due to a hard-pinched bottom. Some of them would glare back, but most continued on to their jobs.

There was a large stage in the back where on the side of it was a band of four playing upbeat music. They had a fiddle, flute, saxophone, and clarinet. Each played in perfect harmony with each other, making such a song that made you want to tap your foot. On the center stage were two women scarcely clothed dancing exotically to the music. The brunette was wearing blue silk, and the blonde was wearing red. Everybody cheered for them while others made ill-mannered comments about what women that fine could do besides dance.