The Crimson Claymore: Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Sun rising through the trees created a blazing yellow light that blinded Searon. He woke with a yawn and realized for the first time that he had woken up after the sunrise. It truly had been a relaxing night after Starlyn joined him. There was no recollection of nightmares for him from the previous night, and he smiled, tossing his arm behind him. He found that the space was empty, and he shivered turning around to see Starlyn was nowhere in sight. She could have just wanted some comfort in the middle of the night, as their previous conversation most likely stirred bad memories for the both of them.

Reluctantly he rose to his feet and stretched out his muscles. It was something he tried to accomplish every morning to prevent strains. He stopped in his tracks to watch an exotic blue-and-red butterfly flutter by. It landed on a low branch in a nearby tree and flapped its wings a few times. The creature appeared to not have a care, and Searon often wished he had such a carefree life. He marveled at its simple beauty as it flapped its wings to hover for a moment before traveling north. His eyes continued to follow the creature until it flew past Karceoles.

Searon stalked over to the wizard, who was staring north after the butterfly. His zylek was in his right hand and his pipe in his left. The pipe wasn't hot, as he wasn't smoking it but simply holding it. Searon stood next to him and looked into the sky where Karceoles was looking. There was a thin trail of smoke rising through the trees into the sky in the far distance. It was barely noticeable through the morning mist, but it was still clearly smoke.

"Draeyks?" Searon asked.

He didn't imagine they were that close to the settlements, as he thought they were still several leagues away and the smoke came from a league or two, max. The smoke that rose in the distance wasn't fresh but a smoldering remnant of a previous fire. It meant there was something traveling out there.

"I don't think so; that isn't the location I remember from the map of their settlements," Karceoles said.

"We ought to check it out then. Where is Starlyn?"

He looked around in hopes to spot her somewhere, but there wasn't any sign. The last he had seen of her was in the middle of the night. She hadn't given him a reason to distrust her, but he still was unsure about her.

"I am unsure; she was not here when I awoke this morning." Karceoles wrinkled his nose.

"Well, I don't think we should wait on her; if that smoke comes from either humans or kheshlars, there may be more allies out there for us." Searon fidgeted his hand around the hilt of his sword, touching the sharp rubies.

He was ready for another battle and could taste the blood on his lips. It had been far too long, at least for him, and he looked forward to the next time he could slash his claymore through the air. His mind would wander too much when he would keep still.

"You are right. Let's go, keep an eye out for the babe," Karceoles attached his zylek to his pouch and nodded his head.

The two saddled up, jerking the reins of their horses to trot forward. It was still early morning, and fog clouded the horizon. Condensation covered the light grass on the ground, and their horses were very gentle and quiet as they galloped. The morning air felt cool through their nostrils, almost too cold, as Searon began to shiver.

Suddenly, the fog cleared a small area, and someone appeared before them. Searon raised his claymore while Karceoles lifted his zylek and took aim. As the fog thinned, they recognized Starlyn standing before them, hammer raised and stained with blood. She had heat rushing through her body, and her face held rosy cheeks and luscious red lips that Searon found tempting.