The Crimson Claymore: Chapter 12

Chapter 12

It was near dusk by the time they arrived at the hilltops to glance down at the draeyk camp. Searon brought his stallion to a stop and climbed from it to glance down upon the settlement. He was cautious to remain hidden, which was a difficult feat without any surrounding trees to hide behind. Still, he could clearly see the camp that still stood a league and a half away.

The camp was unsettled, as draeyks scurried about, tormenting each other and getting into fights. There seemed to be little control between the creatures, proving they were more like animals than men. Fires blazed in several areas throughout the camp where they carelessly cooked animals from bison to rabbits. They ate like they were complete savages, tearing the flesh with their sharpened yellow teeth and even devouring the bones.

"Less than a hundred armed," Starlyn whispered.

He turned to spot her crouched down on the hill next to him. Andron was on his other side, squinting his eyes hard in an attempt to see anything. Searon shook his head, realizing the kheshlar came there to help be his eyes. He wondered how she would react if she knew he didn't need her.

"Yes, but you are forgetting the fifty crossbowmen in the back of the camp. They spread out swiftly with an attack, and a retreat will be near impossible."

Starlyn stared at him now with eyes wide. "You can see them?"

"I can hear them as well; they are uneasy shifting their loaded crossbows with loose bolts. I'm afraid this will not be an easy task to accomplish without much cover. There appears to be four hundred total including those in the tents."

"We will need something creative," Andron whispered.

"My turn for an idea," Karceoles grinned as he walked up behind them.

He stood behind them, looking down at the camp. There seemed little concern for shielding himself. Searon eyed him warily before getting to his feet and gesturing the wizard back away from sight.

"We need something that will work. Not just something that you consider fun," Searon snapped.

"Ah, but this idea is fun, and it will work. Draeyks are more animal than human. It is bloodlust that they crave. If we merely spook them, they will chase us as far as we want them to."

"No, Karceoles. A plan must be discussed."

Karceoles paid him no heed and walked past him to the edge of the hill. Searon tried to stop him but burned his hand when he touched the wizard's zylek. An orange glow surrounded the zylek, causing the wood to steam. A sphere of light appeared at its tip that was at first blinding white but soon changed to orange before catching aflame. Karceoles jerked his zylek forward, releasing the magic, causing the fireball to swirl into motion at incredible speed toward the draeyks' camp.

Searon knew he should have run like the wind in that instant. It would have only made sense to jump onto Stripes and pull the reins with all his might to take the horse on a full gallop. Instead, he took two steps forward and watched with interest at the speeding fireball. Andron stepped next to him with a gulp in his voice and a shudder flowing through his body.

The fireball struck at the main campfire, disintegrating everything in its immediate area. There was no longer a roasting bison there nor the dozens of draeyks that were crowding the fire. The gray tent that was behind the fire vanished in milliseconds as the flame devoured it. Ashes seemed to scatter the ground everywhere in the center of the camp. Weapons were lifted promptly as snarls echoed from the creatures. The creatures looked around furiously before staring directly at Searon. He felt hate flash into his eyes, and he cringed and took a step back.