The Crimson Claymore: Chapter 27

Chapter 27

Searon watched his brother with keen interest. It had been many years since he saw him last, and so many things had changed. Yet at the same time, there were so many things that were the same. His hair was short and dirty blond with stubble on his face. Years back, when he was young, it seemed no matter what he tried no facial hair would grow. Searon smiled at the fond memories.

"How have you been, Noraes?"

He stared around the lively pub that his brother had taken him to. Serving maids patrolled the dirty green wooden floors, dodging spilled mugs of ale to bring fresh ones to customers. Several of them flinched as their bottoms were pinched, but none shrieked out. It appeared to be a too common thing for them that they were used to sore bottoms. The crowd cheered at the juggler as he tossed seven small silver balls up on the stage. Next to the juggler, a woman in a long green cotton dress played a fiddle.

"I can't complain, I've brought myself a long way since the last you've seen me. Perhaps I've matured a little."

Searon barked a laugh as he studied his brother. He changed out of his armor into a short sleeve blue cotton shirt that shone his tight fit muscles at his arms down to his hands. The muscles were as large as Searon's, yet for his thin frame they were impressive. Noraes rubbed at his chin, feeling at his whiskers.

"Since when have you been able to grow a beard?"

Noraes laughed. "I still cannot, but this keeps my face a little warm in the winter."

"So have you found yourself a wife yet?"

No matter how much his brother had claimed to change and mature, he still couldn't see him settling down. He knew his brother to have the same compassion and loving nature as himself, but he was still a wild spirit. Searon had almost forgotten his compassion that he once had for his family and friends over the last few years of being alone. Now that he was seeing his brother once again, those feelings began to swirl back.

Noraes sighed, and his face grew grim. "No, I just haven't found the right one," he chuckled and leaned back in his wobbly chair. "How is Victoria?"

Those were the words that Searon was dreading to hear. They tore through him like a sharp knife through fresh bread. He closed his eyes and rubbed his index finger and thumb against his forehead. After taking a deep breath, he opened his eyes to his brother's worried expression. His brother had known how much he had cared for Victoria and wouldn't go anywhere without her. Noraes began to look around as if expecting to see her come from a corner of darkness. He knew his brother cared for him deeply and would ache when he told him. Searon shook his head and sighed. Noraes studied him for a long moment with concern flashing in his green eyes flecked with hazel.

"She is dead."

Noraes's eyes flared as he stared at his brother. Searon's heart pounded with fury as flashbacks entered his mind. He clenched his fist and put it to his forehead as a splitting migraine overcame him. Shivering, he opened his eyes and brought his shaky fist onto the table. He clenched the pint of ale in his hand and began to chug it. Normally, he wouldn't drink ale because he wasn't as fond of the taste as he was of harder alcohol. However, it was his brother that had ordered the drinks, and it was one of those rare occasions where he preferred the bitterness.

"Creatures called draeyks killed her...and my son. Scaly reptile beasts they are, with long snouts like a lizard and tails behind them. They are black in color, though some have speckled variations under their jaw and on their chest and abdomen. Noraes," Searon paused, "they look like dragons in the storybooks we read as children, except they are our size and without wings."