The Crimson Claymore: Chapter 37

Chapter 37

"Where did you go?" Noraes asked.

Searon already brought his horse to the stable and was walking up the steps to his brother's home. Noraes didn't seem worried, but only mildly curious. He had been out and about for half the day, and it already approached late afternoon as he sat next to Noraes.

"I went for a walk this morning. The air was refreshing."

His brother looked at him with genuine concern, and Searon began to wonder what was so strange about his whereabouts. He started for the door but was blocked by Noraes. The look on his brother's face was stern and stubborn.

"You have been gone for half of the day...are you all right?"

"Have I?" Searon responded, still distracted from the events of the day.

"Yes, you have."

"I found a shop called Magical Enchantments," Searon claimed.

"Magical Enchantments? There is no such shop in the city. In fact, I have never heard of such a shop."

"I think what I need is a drink," Searon murmured.

"I concur, come inside."

Searon nodded and walked inside the house. He took off his scabbard and placed his helmet on an end table before he noticed Starlyn sitting at the dining table. She wasn't wearing her typical steel armor or even her leather armor, but instead wore a dress of light blue that fell just above her ankles. Her feet were bare, and it was the first time Searon had seen her perfectly shaped toenails. He wished his were as clean and trim as hers as he stared in bewilderment. The dress was most likely of human make because Searon couldn't imagine where she would stash such a thing. It was made out of the finest silk he'd ever seen and he could only assume that Noraes was the one who found it. Her hair was tucked behind her ears and for the first time Searon was able to study them carefully. They were similar to human ears but the very tip had a slight point, and unlike the rest of her pale complexion, her ears were slightly pink.

"Searon, we have been worried about you," Starlyn announced and got to her feet.

"I am fine; I was only wandering the city for some fresh air."

"Would you like to join us for some tea?" Starlyn asked.

She stepped from her chair and opened the cabinet to grab some fine china that Searon hadn't even realized his brother had owned. Her mood seemed abnormally happy compared to how he'd normally seen her, and he took notice right away. He watched as she fiddled with the china with a grin upon her soft face.

"What is going on?" Searon asked. "You're not normally this chipper, Starlyn."

"Is it noticeable?" she asked with concern spread across her eyebrows.

"By the brightness of your face and the gracefulness in your movements, it is quite noticeable."

She blushed and whispered. "Don't tell anyone. I have lost control of my emotions as of late."

He smirked. "I am glad to see you happy, Starlyn."

"It is wrong for a kheshlar to lose control like this," Starlyn confessed.

"It is all right, Starlyn. I understand that it is hard to suppress your emotions."

"It isn't only that...kheshlars are forbidden from being with humans," she cautioned.

"Ah, I see. Do no fret, Starlyn; nobody will know," Searon said, taking his tea and blowing on it lightly.

Starlyn gently sat back down in her chair, but her hands shook lightly as she held her cup of tea. Noraes walked over to her and rested his hands on her shoulders for a moment. He bent down to kiss the top of her head before walking away to his bedroom. Starlyn's face noticeably lit up with a small toothless smile as he did, and she blushed. Searon scooted his chair closer to Starlyn and whispered in her ear.

"I know this is more than only losing control of your emotions."

She turned to him with eyes wide in horror. "Excuse me?"

"The way you look at him – the way your face lights up when he is around."

"It is not allowed," Starlyn argued with panic reaching her voice.

"Rules cannot prevent what the heart wants, Starlyn. Every rule I knew told me I should have left Victoria in that village...yet I could not."

Noraes walked back out from the bedroom in a change of clothes. He no longer wore his casual home clothes but had a formal blue silk shirt and black slacks. Starlyn stood up as he walked over to her, but when he tried to put his arms around her waist and kiss her, she pushed him away. She quickly dashed out of the way and turned to face him.

"I must go," she squeaked as she looked deep into his eyes.

She walked over to grab her armor while trying her best to avoid Noraes's gaze. Her wide eyes met Searon's for a moment as she gathered her things. Noraes walked up closer to her and grabbed her arm.

"Not so fast," he said.

Noraes ran his hand through her hair as he kissed her lips. She tried to pull away at first, but he wouldn't have it. Soon, she sank into the kiss, and the two were caught up in passion. She cut it short and stepped back in a flush.

"I really must go," she said before taking one last look at the two of them and rushing out the door.

Noraes turned to look at Searon. "What was that all about?"

Searon smirked as he took a sip of his tea.