The Crimson Claymore: Chapter 8

Chapter 8

There seemed to be an aura of power surrounding the woman that Searon couldn't explain. She resembled a kheshlar ranger with a bow attached to her back next to a quiver. Her black steel armor caught his attention with thick pointed shoulder pads and stripes of white to match her hair. Strangely, she only wore a steel gauntlet on her right hand while her left was bare, showing long fingernails. The armor on her bosom was half the depth of Starlyn's. Silver scale mail covered her legs before they were met by parted boots just above her knees. Three sharp points like daggers rose to her knees from each boot, looking deadlier than the dagger she kept at Starlyn's throat.

Despite her exotic appearance, nothing kept Searon's attention more than the woman's face. It was very similar to Starlyn's with high cheek bones, a small nose, and lips that nearly mirrored each other. The ears were also very similar with each other, but Starlyn's weren't quite as sharp on the tip.

"Let her go."

He didn't let his voice falter in the slightest, but inside he could feel chills run down his spine. For the woman to be able to capture Starlyn so easily he wondered how little of a chance he stood against her. Still, he clutched the handle of his claymore until he was sure his knuckles had turned completely white. He kept his eyes focused into the woman's with as much courage as he could while trying not to be mesmerized by them.

"Ah...you are attractive. I can see now how my sister lost control in your presence." Her voice was cold and harsh like grinding nails.

"Sister?" Searon breathed, shifting his eyes from the woman to Starlyn's fearful expression.

He knew Starlyn had told him about losing her sister to the draeyks. She had never told him of her change of appearance, though, and he had imagined the woman to be similar to Starlyn. Indeed she was similar to Starlyn, but the change of skin color took Searon aback. He was intrigued at how the woman could have changed so much. Now he knew that he hadn't been given the full story of what had happened to her sister.

The woman grinned, showing perfect white teeth. Searon half expected her teeth to be rotting like the charcoal skin on her body. Her skin didn't appear rotten; in fact, it appeared smoother than Starlyn's, and he had a craving to touch it. The same craving dwelled in him to feel her cold violet lips upon his.

"Yes. I assume she's told you about me."

She loosened the curved dagger, which held a blade similar to a flamberge sword, from Starlyn's neck only slightly. Starlyn appeared to be partially relieved but still didn't attempt to make a move. Her blazing silvery eyes watered and pleaded with Searon.

"Some, still I have yet to learn your name." His hand vibrated slightly from the pressure his grip sustained on his claymore's hilt.

"Arria." She masked a smirk that was far from innocent. "And yours?"

"Searon," he avoided her eyes that now seemed to be boring deeper into his, almost luring him to her. However, looking at her body now didn't help matters much.

"If you don't mind, I would like some alone time with my lovely sister." Her eyes seemed to glow slightly at the end of her sentence.

Searon looked away from her eyes again and fought the urge to do exactly as she asked. There seemed to be a power lingering from her to him, and he wished for nothing but to please her. He felt the urge to bow to her there and ask her for guidance on her bidding. Shaking such thoughts from his head, he held firm.

"I'm afraid I can't do that; forfeit her now, or prepare to fight."

"Mmmm...you would make a good pet. I now understand why my sister likes you so."