Chapter 32: The big day

READ AUTHORS NOTE PLEASE

Chapter 32: The big day

                “I can’t believe are you are having a Hindu and Christian religious ceremony, and your parents are cool with that.” Sal said as she straightened my hair from the back. It would be weird and different from any other wedding anyone has ever gone to, but I didn't care if anyone decided to gossip of how much disgrace we were to this was to our culture. Honestly, today wasn't about pleasing everyone. It is about me and Ethan and no one else.

                “I know it’s weird, but I it can’t be one or the other because that would mean we are belittling the other persons beliefs.  Plus we aren't the most religious people in the whole entire world, so we didn’t that think it’s that big of a deal.” I said honestly. The make-up lady had come over my house around noon this morning, and it was already three. Being a bride and looking good is the most stressful and time consuming job.

                “I can’t believe you guys are getting married. I am so happy for you guys. You guys were basically were already married, but  this is just now making it official.” I couldn’t believe I was going to be Mrs. Meyers. The thought made me all jittery.  Today I was going to be saying the words ‘I do’ and walking around the fire seven times. My mother came into the room, an she was smiling like a mad woman. She ran up to me with tear in her eyes. She grabbed my hands and grinned.

                “Your mendhi (henna) is dark. You know what that means right?” She said tracing her finger around my hands. “That means your husband is going to love you a lot, but you already know that. I am so happy you were able to follow you heart something I never had the courage to do.” My eyes had tears covering them, and my mother grabbed me into an embrace.

                I started crying like a baby which sucks for my make-up artist, but I didn’t care. I felt like I have broken a tradition in our family. I broke a tradition that haunted women to not have a say in their life. That they were now free, don’t get me wrong it’s not like they were chained to the wall, but sometimes we had no choice but to listen to our parent. There were some matters that we didn’t have a choice in because it was a form of respect, but now I was opening a new gate. I was allowing kids to be able to speak without being scared of getting yelled at. I was starting a new tradition. A tradition to be free.

                “Girl you can’t not cry, I just did your make up.” My makeup signed dramatically. My mother and me laughed, and I wiped my tears, and started the whole process again.

Ethan POV

                “Can you calm down?” Aman said to me as he tried to adjust my tie. I felt like I was about to vomit. I couldn’t believe I was getting married. Don’t get me wrong I was somewhat happy, but I was also a guy which meant I wanted to run away.

                “I am trying to, but I am getting married. I’m only twenty-three and I am settling down.” I started pacing back and forth like a mad women. Aman grabbed by shoulders, and slapped me across the face.

                “Get a grip man!” He started shaking his shoulder violently. Aman was my best man which is ironic considering the fact we barley talked to each other in high school, I didn’t even know he existed. After me and Naina started going out I was forced to hang out with Aman, and I learned that he was pretty chill guy. He did a lot for me in the past years, and I couldn’t have found a better best man.

                “Bro stop hitting me. What the fuck is wrong with you?”  I said violently taking his hands off of me and running my hands threw my hair.