Chapter 7- July

Author's Note: Okay... so I fixed the name problem with the puppers!!

Chapter 7

(July)

"Okay, open your eyes!" Claudia said excitedly. I opened them and immediately saw an adorable, dark German Shepherd puppy sitting in Zach's lap on the couch. I smiled and turned to Claud. She nodded.

"Mine?" I asked, frowning slightly.

"Of course, dear!" She said happily. "You can call it another belated birthday gift. Zachary told me that you wanted a German Shepherd the most." Boy, he was manipulative. I looked at him and he shrugged. I laughed and shook my head.

"Thank you!" I gave Claudia a hug and the puppy came running over, it's whole body wiggling as it wagged it's tail.

"It is a boy," Zach told me as I kneeled down and let the puppy jump up and lick me.

"Abigail will be so excited as well. She has not yet seen him," Claudia said happily.

A little bit later, it was just Zach and I sitting on the couch. The puppy, tired from all the excitement, had fallen asleep in between us. "So," Zach suddenly spoke. "What are you going to name him?" I hadn't really thought about it.

"I don't know... what do you think?" I asked. He shrugged one should, reaching his hand down to pet the dog.

"Something cool. Name it Killian or something," He suggested lightly. Killian. For some reason, I really liked it.  And of course Zach would suggest the name of a beer...

"Killian," I said with a smile. "I like that."

"Really?" He asked, frowning at me slightly. I nodded.

"I think it'll have to stick." I looked at my adorable sleeping puppy. At that moment, I was very happy.

But moments like that can never last long. I had pretty much been trying to avoid Zach ever since that night we had gotten drunk together. If I had any sort of attraction for him, I wasn't allowed, so I needed to try and not look at him or talk to him, or do anything related to him! But that was pretty hard considering we lived together... It was kind of odd, because Zach seemed to be avoiding me as well. When we would come into contact with each other, I could feel him watching me until I would look at him. Then he would look away all quick... It was very strange, and I didn't know how to take it.

There were some moments when our eyes would meet, and that was also awkward. I felt like he suddenly hated me, but he wasn't letting it show like he usually did. Zach was still an asshole to me, but not like he was when he first got to the house. Now he was more of a playful asshole. We had really learned to tolerate each other. I could even say I liked him now... I liked him a little too much, though.

I had spent many hours in my room after that night, thinking shit over. I had only ever had one girlfriend before, but my attraction for her felt.. different than the one I had towards Zach. Maybe it's because my feelings for him were wrong, completely. He was my foster brother, my family, and well-he was a fucking he! Was I straight? Was I bi? Was I gay? I didn't have a fucking clue at that point. But no matter how hard I tried to forget about it and ignore it, it was shoved right back in my face every time I looked at him. He was fucking hot to me. It disgusted me. I threw up many times the next day as well, just thinking about it. Luckily Zach thought I was just hungover.

The last thing I wanted to happen was for anyone to find out, though... I already got called a faggot way too much.

Eventually Abby got home. She made it just in time for him to wake up, too. She walked into the living room and looked at us. A big smile spread on her face as Killian jumped off the couch and ran over to her happily. "Aw!" She exclaimed. "Did Mutter get you a dog finally, Dylan?" She asked happily.

"Yes, Abbs. His name is Killian," I told her with a grin, deciding to stand. It was still strange sitting near Zach... God, what had I gotten myself into?

<<>>

I tried to open the door as quietly as possible, and stepped inside. It was around eight at night, so Deron would be home. But, I had failed to remember that I had a new puppy. Killian came bouncing from the living room, his little claws clicking against the wood of the hallway floor. His little mouth was open, his tongue lolling out as he jumped up for me. "Hey, buddy," I breathed and bent over, picking him up. He immediately began licking my face. "Ew, stop it," I laughed quietly. I felt a sting as he licked over one of the scrapes on my cheek. I set him down again and looked up to see Zach standing in the hallway.

"What the hell happened to you?" He asked, scowling at me. I swallowed nervously.

"I-uh- got into a little bit of a fight, I guess...," I replied, a little ashamed of myself. He shook his head. "Look, I don't need you scolding me!" I snapped bitterly.

"I am beginning to think you do," He bit back. I glared at the man standing in front of me. He shook his head and I noticed him clench his jaw. "Are you fucking okay?" He asked, sounding very irritated.

"Yeah, I'm fine... I just got my face smashed into the sidewalk a little... I'm fine...," I told him and walked past to the stairs. I went up quickly and turned into the bathroom to take a look at the damage.

I had little scrapes all along my face, and the corner of my lip was cracked open and swollen. That was pretty much what looked the worst. I glanced at my hands to see that my knuckles had dried blood on them. I groaned and turned on the faucet, gently running them under warm water. It stung a little. I glanced up at myself in the mirror and scowled. I was beginning to really resent myself.

Once I was done washing myself clean from all my blood and wrapping my knuckles, I decided I should go back downstairs and try to apologize to Zach. I walked into the living room to see he wasn't there, so I went into the kitchen. He was not in there either. I sighed and looked out the window to see Zach out in the yard, walking Killian on a leash, a cigarette in his mouth. At least I didn't need to worry that nobody would ever let Killian out to go to the bathroom. I grinned a little and turned to leave before he would notice me watching him.

I walked into the living room, immediately recognizing the sound of Black Label Society playing softly, and sat down on the couch. There was a little cup of, what I guessed to be, whiskey of some sort. I shook my head and leaned down in my seat, slipping my shoes off. I found myself wishing that I could just go to bed, but it was far too early to do that.

Before I knew it, I heard the side door open and shut, followed by the jingle of a little collar. Soon Killian came trotting into the living room. He wagged his tail and jumped up on the couch, getting onto my lap. I laughed a little and pet his soft head. I looked over as Zach came walking in. He barely looked at me, but he took his seat on the other side of the couch and picked up his cup.

"Dylan?" He asked before taking a swig. I replied with a little 'hm'. "Why the hell do you keep getting into shit with people?" He asked, giving me a blank look. I shook my head.

"I don't know, man... people seem to always be trying to start shit with me. They're just all rubbing me the wrong way lately...," I answered truthfully. I saw him shake his head out of the corner of my eye.

"Maybe you should fucking stop. I have done my share of fighting. It is all good until you almost fucking kill someone...," He murmured. I didn't even ask, because I didn't really want to know. I really didn't want to care about him either.

"Mmm...," I said and raised my eye brows briefly.

"Why are you being such an asshole?" He asked smugly.

"Because I just got the shit kicked out of me, and I come home toooo you bitching at me about it. You're not my fucking mother, you're not my guardian, just butt the fuck out of it," I snarled, glaring at him. He clenched his jaw and finished up his glass, shaking his head. "Whatever, I'm going to bed." I stood up, grabbed Killian, and headed out of the living room.

I ran upstairs and put Killian down on my bed. I then began to undress down to my boxers and laid on my bed. Killian immediately came up and laid down next to me, licking my fingers. I sighed and stared at my ceiling.

Why did I have to feel? Zach was stressing me out beyond belief. I wanted his affection, I wanted him to care, I wanted him to like me the way I liked him... so why the fuck was I pretending that I didn't? I groaned and rolled over, holding onto my puppy tight. At least I didn't have to sleep alone anymore...