Chapter 9- August

"What the fuck did you say!?" Before I could stop myself, I was running at him. Our bodies hit and a strange noise came from his mouth as we smacked against the concrete, my weight probably not helping too much. I raised my fist and smashed it into the side of the boy's face. I didn't stop there, though. I continued to pummel my fist into his face. He attempted in vain to get me off. I could feel him getting punches in to my back and sides, but it wasn't enough. I hardly noticed it with my adrenaline. I think that people were trying to separate us. It wasn't until he bashed his fat fist into the back of my head was I stunned long enough for him to push me off. I fell backwards onto my ass, sending a small ringing up through my spine.

The boy stood up and glared at me as I rubbed the back of my head, his face dripping blood. I was surprised he could stand after how I fucked his face up. After I got composure, I realized that I was sitting and he was not... so I quickly stood up and scowled at him. That's when he did the most hated thing in the world to do to anyone... He spit on me. "Oh, you fucking-" I didn't even finish my sentence. I leaped forward and shoved his chest, knocking him backwards. Luckily, ha, one of his little buddies caught him. They were trying to calm both of us down.

"Fuck you, faggot!" Again with the faggot word. "You fight like a god damn girl!" He was smiling smugly. I moved forward, more in his face.

"Yeah? Yeah? Do I now?" I yelled , moving back slightly. Before anyone could really react, I decked him right in his jaw. He fell backwards without anyone to catch him that time. "Fuck you, fatass!" I yelled and kicked him in his stomach. He groaned and one of his friends kneeled down next to him, while the other attempted to move me.

"Man, just stop! He's hurt!" He pleaded.

"Ha! Tell him to stop being such a fucking cocky tough guy then!" I was just about to take another swing when I suddenly heard my name being yelled... very loud... very deep... and very, very angry. I turned swiftly to see Zach walking quickly over. Man did he look angry.

"What the fuck are you doing!?" He yelled and shoved me so hard that I fell backwards again onto my ass. "Get the fuck UP and go to my fucking car!" He seemed to get louder the more he yelled. I scowled at him and stood up. "Please, I am so sorry. He has a bit of an anger problem I guess you could say." I heard Zach saying as I walked away down the street to his car. I leaned against the passenger door and pulled out my cigarettes. I needed one badly, though I only had two left. I could feel my heart beating so fast, I thought it might pop. My hands were shaking a ridiculous amount.

Soon I heard footsteps coming closer and closer. "Why the hell did you do that?" Zach asked. I didn't not reply. "Dylan, fucking answer me..." He growled, smacking the side of my head.

"Fuck, man! Knock it off!" I glared at him, wanting to half attack him as well. "I don't know, man.. he- bumped into me," I lied. Well... he did, but that was only half of the story. He laughed harshly at this.

"You are fucking ridiculous," He muttered as he walked around the car to get in. I got in shortly after him and rolled my window down a little. He began packing his cigarettes, shaking his head angry. "Truly something. If Claudia did not care so much, I would not even be helping your ass out." I snorted.

"Yeah, wouldn't that be nice?" I said sarcastically. He snorted in disgust before reaching into his pants pocket.

"Oh yeah," He said as he was struggling to get something out. "Here." He threw a pack of cigarettes at me... like, literally threw them. The corner scratched my arm.

"Thanks," I muttered begrudgingly. He nodded and started the engine after he'd gotten out a cigarette and lit it.

"Fighting really should not become a habit of yours," Zach told me, his voice still cold.

"Yeah, kinda too late for that...," I retorted. I noticed him grip the steering wheel harder.

"Dipshit," He breathed, sounding exasperated. I took a long drag and held it in for a little while before releasing heavily. I was so pissed, I kind of just wanted to argue with him. "They wanted to fucking call the cops, you know? What the hell would you have done then?" I shrugged my shoulders and turned in my seat a little so that I could focus my attention on the scenery outside and smoke my cigarette in peace.

Eventually we made it back to the house. I got out of the car before he turned the engine off and started quickly for the house. I opened the door and ran upstairs. My knuckles stung, and I could tell that I had some scrapes on my palms from when Zach pushed me down. I went into my room and took off my shirt, sweat forming on my back. I heard footsteps and glanced over my shoulder to see Zach. He was looking at my back, his arms crossed. "What?" I asked bitterly. He didn't answer.

"Calm down," He said, his tone completely different, a couple seconds later.

"I am calm," I replied, staring out my window. I heard him sigh and his footsteps sounded right behind me. He put his hand on my shoulder and sort of turned me to face him. He looked upset now, and I felt kind of bad. He placed his hand in between my shoulder blades and gently pulled me into him. Both of his arms were wrapped around me. It felt nice... it was comforting. After a couple seconds I lifted my arms and hugged him back. His thumb lightly rubbed over my skin. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, enjoying his scent. "Are you okay?" I could feel the vibrations in his chest when he spoke with us being so close.

"Yeah... I am now...," I said quietly. He held me tighter for a brief moment before releasing me. I looked up into his almost black eyes. He still looked a bit hurt. I wasn't used to Zach being so emotional.

It had been a couple weeks since me and him had kissed. We hadn't really talked about it, but our relationship was definitely different. There were subtle touches here and there; warm, affectionate looks every now and then. It was nice. I was beginning to feel a little comfortable with him and my emotions about the whole situation.

I sighed and leaned forward again so that my forehead was resting on Zach's shoulder. He put his arms around me again and began rubbing my back. "I'm so stressed out, Zach," I admitted. I felt him nod. So like him to not try and say anything to reassure me...

What the fuck had I gotten myself into?