Chapter 5- June

Chapter 5

(June)

I had less than a week of school left, and because of that everyday felt longer and longer. I couldn't wait for summer vacation to begin. The thought of being able to stay up as late as I wanted, and sleep as long as I wanted sounded absolutely amazing.

Zach had become quite comfortable in the house, and it was a bit annoying. He had begun to talk to me on occasion, not about anything too intense. Just little shit here and there. We were pretty much acting like brothers who weren't too fond of each other. My stomach still burned when I saw him, and he made me nervous. I found myself stuttering over my words when I would talk to him. He made me feel... funny, I guess. I never felt like that towards anyone else, so I couldn't really put my finger on it.

It was about half way through the day when I had just shut my locker and was walking through the hallway. I was debating skipping the rest of the day at lunchtime, since I had last lunch.

"Hey, faggot," I suddenly heard a familiar cold voice. I stopped in my tracks and turned to see the devil himself. His name was Kevin. He was some blonde haired, blue eyed, football douche bag. He was standing by his locker with a small group of his friends. That explained why he called me out.

"What?" I asked, not in the mood for it.

"Oh, so you admit that you're a fag?" He asked and they went into a fit of arrogant laughter. Ugh, it reminded me of Zach.

"Ha ha, yeah, very funny. What the fuck do you want?" I asked, my adrenaline starting to run. He laughed.

"Are your new mommy and daddy kicking you to the curb yet?" One of them asked. I looked at them and shook my head, a small smile on my face. I decided to turn and not say anything. That's when they began the taunting. I maybe took four steps when something in me snapped. I was holding my heavy math book and some folders. I turned sharply, letting the momentum of my heavy books make me go faster and flung them at Kevin. They hit him with a thud, and my fist hit him shortly after that.

It all happened so fast, but I managed to get one good punch to his face, while his friends and him managed to get quite a few on me. It was quite unfair how kids at my school did things. If someone got into a fight you were not only fighting the person you had a problem with, but their friend as well.

Soon we were being pulled apart by other students, and teachers had all formed around us. Once we were separated, I got to take a look at Kevin. His nose was bleeding a little, and he had a nasty puncture on his leg. I was guessing the corner of my math book dug into his skin when I threw it at him. "Fuck you!" I growled.

"Alright, Dylan!" I heard my history teacher yell. "Kevin! Both, to the principal's office." Kevin and his group of friends that had gotten involved went first with a teacher escort, and I was allowed to clean but my papers that had scattered on the floor. When I was done with that, I headed down to the main office as well. I sat down in a chair and sighed, rubbing my face. I got fucked up. My jaw was beginning to hurt and I could tell I got popped in the eye quite well.

Eventually I was allowed to enter. He scolded me like a principal is supposed to do with all that bullshit, and since we only had four days of school left, I had out of school suspension for the last day and one day of in school suspension. I was also ordered to go home. I didn't mind any of those punishments.

I went back into the main office, where they called Claudia for a ride home. The receptionist hung up and smiled at me. "She told me to tell you that your brother will be in to get you." I couldn't hide the confusion on my face, but nodded anyways. My brother? Ugh... Zach. I'd almost forgotten. I wondered how he was going to make fun of me this time.

I took a seat in the office and sighed, rubbing my painful face. I kind of felt like I'd just gotten my wisdom teeth out.

Time seemed to pass slowly when I finally looked out to see Zach's car in front of the school. I told the receptionist that was him and I was dismissed. I walked over to his shitty car to see him in the driver's seat smoking a cigarette... on school property. I smiled slightly at his ignorance, or rather lack of giving a fuck, and got in the passenger's side. "Hey," He greeted in a low voice, not seeming too pleased. I nodded but didn't say anything. "Do you want a cigarette?" He asked, slight laughter in his voice. I thought for a second and then nodded.

"Yeah, why not?" I said before he handed me one. I took his lighter as well and lit it. The nice feeling of nicotine swept over me when I let out my first drag. I closed my eyes and tried to enjoy the rest of the ride home. Zach didn't say anything else to me, which really surprised me. I was expecting him to hackle me and make fun of me. Now I wasn't looking forward to getting home. Claudia was going to be pissed.

But eventually all good things had to end and we made it home. I got out of the car and shut the door, leading the way into the house with Zach behind me. I looked over in the kitchen to see Claudia sitting there. She motioned with her finger for me to come. I reluctantly did so, and sat down across from her. I stared at the dark brown table top, waiting for her to speak. She let out a deep sigh.

"Now...," She began. "Would you like to tell me what happened?" I shrugged, trying not to look at the disappointment on her face. "Okay... I am not very happy, Dylan. You know this though. I am quite disappointed with you."

"Claud, they're... they're ignorant! They say stupid stuff to me that they know nothing about! Stuff about my past! I couldn't help it, I just... lost control, I guess," I explained, scowling at my hands.

"Sweetheart, you need to learn to ignore them. Your past is over, and I know you have been through much... much that none of us will ever understand. But they are just trying to get you angry." I nodded and looked up at her finally. She looked sad and tired. "I feel as though I must ground you. No television for a week?" I nodded, laughing slightly.

"Okay, if you must," I said. I really didn't care.

"Okay... I am... I do not know. I will let you think about your mistakes," She said before standing and leaving the room. I sighed and shook my head, wanting to cry. I stood up swiftly and left through the side door in the kitchen. I stood on the deck for a second and scanned our yard before stepping down onto the grass. I walked swiftly through the yard until I got to the willow tree right before the field of long grass that me and Abby liked to play in.

I looked up at the branches for a moment and then sat down, scooting back so that my back was resting against the tree. I felt defeated and tired. I hadn't felt so awful in a long time.

The wind blew, causing the grass the make a comforting rustling noise. I kept picturing the fight over and over in my head. I was still very angry about it. It wasn't just this instance, there were many. The students at my school didn't know how to leave me alone. I guess it was because I was easy pickings since I'd been in foster care my whole life... It just wasn't fair.

I felt my eyes begin to burn slightly. I took a deep breath in and blinked, moisture forming quickly. I was somehow always forced to think about my past... There was no escaping it.

I suddenly heard footsteps come up beside me, followed by someone sitting down. I opened my eyes and glanced over to see Zach sitting, staring out into the field. His eyes... I could actually see different shades of brown in them now that he was sitting outside in the sun. I'd never really noticed before, but he had exactly the colour eye that I longed for.

Zach sniffed and started pulling grass out. "Hey...," He said quietly.

"Hey," I breathed, wiping my eyes. I felt stupid now.

"Are you okay?" He asked, and I nodded. "You have a black eye...," He said, sort of trailing off. I nodded and pulled my knees up to my chest, wrapping my arms around them. I heard him sigh. "Look, Dylan... I-um..." He stopped. I glanced over to see him scowling at the ground. "You should put some ice on your face."

"You think?" I snapped, glaring at him. Why the fuck did he care?

"Okay, sorry," He growled and stood up. "Just thought you might like some company." With that, Zach began to walk away. I rolled my eyes and felt more tears coming. I buried my face in my knees and sniffed. I felt kind of bad for yelling at Zach like that when I got time to think of it. I think, in a strange way, he was trying to tell me that he actually cared about me. It felt nice... It warmed my stomach a little bit. There was something about him...