Chapter 19- December

"Dinner is ready, everyone!" Karolin called. Zach and I exchanged glances before rising slowly from our seats. Claudia's other sister and husband had arrived soon after Ginger so that meant there were eleven of us sitting at the kitchen table to eat. The kitchen was a decent size, but it was definitely going to be a bit crammed. Since I hadn't gotten to eat much earlier in the day, I was finally starving.

We both entered the kitchen to see everyone was getting seated. Claudia's family was very informal with how they set up Christmas dinner, and I liked it. We got to choose our seats, where in many German households your seats are chosen for you. I was unsure of where to sit, so I hesitantly sat next to Zach. I glanced around awkwardly and soon everyone was comfortable. I was sitting in between Zach and Claudia, and across from Karolin and Engel.

Very little time passed when I heard Deron's deep voice speaking to Claudia, followed by Zach tensing almost immediately. I looked over at him with a frown to see he was glaring at his plate, his hands clenched into fists. The soft talking continued for a moment before he turned in his seat and made a conscious effort to scowl at his father. I had no idea what they were saying, but I knew it was bad.

"All I am saying, dear, is it might be better for them not to sit so close to each other," Deron said in a normal tone. My heart seemed to skip of a beat. Is he serious... is he really going to do this now?

"Deron, nein!" Claudia hissed urgently under her breath.

"What is the problem, Deron?" Karolin asked innocently.

"Oh, nothing! I just do not think it is such a good idea to have Zachary and Dylan sitting next to each other," He said light heartedly. She laughed slightly.

"Oh... and why is that?" She asked. Please, no!

"Ach, I nearly forgot! Nobody knows! Silly me!" Deron laughed, sounding like a complete asshole. "Zachary and Dylan are, in fact-"

"Deron!" Claudia yelled, but it was too late.

"-a couple!" He finished, looking very pleased with himself. There was a very awkward silence.

"What?" Karolin asked slowly, looking at us both. Engel was giving us both a very disgusted look, and I had to avert my gaze from everyone. I hunched my shoulders and tried to ignore everyone's burning stares.

"Oh, yes! They are together! They are, how do you say, involved with each other-"

"Stop it!" Claudia growled at her husband.

"What?" He asked. "There is nothing wrong with it!" Oh my god... I cleared my throat awkwardly and heard a chair creak. Someone had gotten up to leave the tense situation. I glanced at Zach to see he had turned forward in his seat once more, his jaw clenched, his hands in fists on the table. He looked furious.

"Was?" Ginger asked, seeming more confused than anyone.

"Nein, Deron!" Claudia seemed desperate and they went into a fit of German arguing. I felt uncomfortable not knowing what they were saying, but everyone was still looking at Zach and I strangely.

"Well, whatever makes you happy," Karolin said. She was trying to sound indifferent, but I could hear her voice shake as she spoke. My heart was pounding so fast, I could barely hear anything but it. I was surprised Zach hadn't spoken yet.

"Yes, there is nothing wrong with- a man... who is basically his brother- getting into a relationship with a teenage, minor no less, ado-"

"Fuck you, Deron!" Zach suddenly exploded and stood up. "You SHUT THE FUCK UP!"

"Do not tell me to shut up, Zachary!" He yelled right back. "And certainly NEVER say the fuck word to me!"

"I will say whatever I want to, you piece of shit! My personal life is nothing of your worry! I am a grown man; I can do as I please!" He had moved closer to his dad, who had also stood.