Chapter 13- October

So there I sat again. Blood was dripping either from my nose or my lip, I couldn't tell which. I wiped my face with my sweatshirt sleeve, my eyes following the school nurse as she rushed around grabbing supplies. I knew very well that I was going to go to the principal after this. Zach's gonna kill me... I wasn't too worried about Claudia anymore. Zach's punishments were usually worse.

"Here, hold this under your nose," The nurse instructed as she handed me a piece of gauze. I did as told and licked my lips. I immediately tasted blood.

I was still shaking from the fight that had gone on less than five minutes before I arrived at the nurse's office. I was so sick of people fucking with me. My temper was wearing thin, and I snapped quicker than I ever used to.

Soon enough I was finished cleaning myself up and, as predicted, I was called to the principal's office. I had no idea what sort of punishment they were going to give to me this time. I'd gotten in trouble with fighting twice this year already. It wasn't long before I was called back to see him. I walked cautiously in.

"Sit." Principal Inda ordered. I slowly sat down in the chair placed in front of his desk. I heard him sigh. "Dylan..." I just looked at him. "What happened?" I shrugged.

"I don't know." I replied, not sure where to begin.

"How did this happen?" He asked.

"Does it really matter?" I asked, knowing the punishment would be the same no matter what story or reason I gave.

"Yes. Yes it does." The principal watched me closely. It made me feel uncomfortable.

Rolling my eyes slightly, I answered. "I punched him because he pissed me off. There's not really much more to it."

"Now, Dylan, I would appreciate it if you don't curse."

"Sorry...," I mumbled, staring at my feet.

"Okay, well, I'm going to bring him in and get his side of the story if that's all you are willing to share," Principal Inda said after moments of silence. I nodded, not really caring. "Now about your punishment..." He flipped through some papers. "We are going to have to give you four days out of school suspension and three days in school suspension." He started filling out some papers. I was glad that I got out of school suspension. I hated school so much it was ridiculous.

After a couple seconds of him writing, he handed me the papers. "Give these to your parents when you get home. I already called your house for someone to come and get you, so they should be here soon." He gave me a long look after I had finished nodding. I didn't try to look regretful of my actions. I was happy on the inside that I got to miss three days of school. He sighed with a half-hearted grin. "You are dismissed. You may sit in the office until they are here." I nodded and stood up before exiting his office. I felt relief as soon as I was out of the view of the principal. His judgmental eyes were no longer plastered to me.

I sat down in the office and stared at my feet. It didn't take too long before Zach's familiar car pulled up to the front of the school. I walked out the doors of the office and then the front doors. It felt good to be away from that hellish prison.

Zach looked over at me as I sat down in the passenger's seat. I scowled at him, already feeling defensive. He rolled his eyes and put the car in drive. I looked out the window as we drove towards our house. I could feel the tension crackling between Zach and I, and I was anxious to get out of the car.

When we got home, I got out of the car quickly and walked up to the front door. I opened it and walked up the stairs to my room before anyone could say anything. I grabbed a pack of cigarettes from my windowsill that I forgot to hide that morning before I left. I pulled a cigarette out and lit it before sitting heavily on my bed. My window had been cracked all day, so the air was slightly chilly.