Chapter 23- February

Author's note: I have been insanely busy, and have been going through some stupid relationship issues.  I slowly wrote this chapter over a period of weeks :(  The next chapters should come quicker, hopefully.  I'm excited to write them!

Well... it was Valentine's Day. A day that I had never in my life had a partner to share with. I had no idea what to expect, or what to do. I had grown up knowing that it seemed to be a big deal with almost every couple, but I never really understood why. Zach and I had hardly even talked about it. I'd joked with him and asked if we were gonna do anything. He just laughed and said that we would fuck in celebration, which irritated me.

I had no idea what to do... So I stupidly ended up getting him a cheesy Valentine's Day card and a rock I'd found that was shaped like a heart. The thought of actually presenting him with the shitty gifts made my throat tighten. I'd never gotten him anything, not even for Christmas. But it felt wrong not to for this holiday.

I sat on my bed, staring out the cracked window as I smoked. It was cold out, so I didn't want to have it open too far. Zach was at work, which left me with plenty of time to debate how I was going to give him his card. There was probably no better way than to be up front about it. I didn't know how to be romantic.

I stared at the card and flipped it open. I had signed it. I wasn't sure how much Zach would like having something that I had put my name on, in case anyone ever found it, which was another reason for my discretion. I stared at my chicken scratch signature and sighed. Stop over thinking it. But it was hard to not over think things with Zach; he was so unpredictable and stubborn.

I took one last drag of my cigarette and smashed it into the ashtray, slowly releasing the smoke from my lungs. I looked out my window again. I had a lot of time to kill before he returned, yet I knew it would go quickly.

<<<>>>

And I was correct. Almost before I knew it, Zach was home. I was sitting in the living room when I heard the door open, followed by an undeniably dramatic sigh. Great. He probably had a bad day. Claudia, who was sitting on the couch beside me, and I exchanged glances. She grinned crookedly and went back to reading her book. To my surprise, he walked directly upstairs. I didn't want him to walk into my room and see his damn gifts. They weren't out in the open, but I was paranoid. I stood up and swiftly followed him. Once upstairs I turned into his room to see him changing. "Hey," I greeted.

Zach glanced over his shoulder and slipped his shirt off. "Hello," He said in return. He rustled through his drawers until he pulled out a shirt.

"How was work?" I dared to ask as I stepped farther into his room.

"Shit!" He answered. "It was insanely busy... and of course there were so many dumb fucks asking about wines and champagnes. I hate people," He growled and turned to me finally. "How was your day?" He asked, a slight smirk on his face. I frowned and shrugged.

"Fine." I didn't quite trust his expression. He nodded and walked forward before wrapping his arms around me.

"Just fine?" He asked. I nodded but didn't speak. I couldn't get the shitty Valentine's gift out of my head.

"Are you doing anything tonight?" I asked as we separated. He shrugged one shoulder.

"No." He frowned slightly. "Why?"

"I dunno...," I trailed off and sat on my bed. He gave me a hard look and then suddenly smiled.

"Aww...," He said mockingly. "Did you want to spend time with me?" He sat down next to me swiftly, he face close to mine. I raised and eye brow and couldn't help but laugh at his invasion of my personal space.