Chapter 1- March

Author's note: Please comment me and let me know what you think.  Also, feel free to let me know if you find any grammar mistakes or silly spelling mistakes!  :)

Chapter 1

(March)

I sat at the kitchen table, Abby in the chair beside me, staring at my hands. It was Saturday, thank God. I didn't have to go to god damned school until Monday. If I was lucky, maybe Tuesday. I hadn't been to a full week of school in about two months. I was seriously surprised that we hadn't been fined yet. I didn't think that would be fair, though, because for all they knew, I had serious health problems! Besides, what ninth grade student would even want to go to school? I had better things to do. Like skate... and sleep.

I looked up to see Claudia enter the kitchen, her blonde hair tied back in a messy pony tail. She looked over at me and grinned slightly. "Dylan," She suddenly said and turned towards the counters to wash dishes or something. "Could you run into town and get me some Motrin or something of that sort? We seemed to have run out."

"Uh, sure," I replied, not sure why she wouldn't just do it herself. After all, she had a car. Maybe she thought I needed to get out more or something.

"Thank you, dear. I have the worst headache!" She sighed and walked out of the kitchen. I exchanged looks with Abby and she shrugged, going back to her colouring book. I yawned lightly and stood up to follow my foster mother. She was soon standing in front of me, money in her hands. "Here you go," She said.

"Alright. I'll go now, I guess," I said indifferently.

"Thank you, sweetheart," She said and lightly kissed the top of my head. I grinned and nodded before walking past her to go put my shoes on. I shoved the money into my pocket and slipped my shoes on before grabbing my skateboard. No fucking way was I walking...

I exited the house and walked down our steps onto the path leading to the road. I glanced around for cars quickly before skating towards town. It didn't take long, since our house wasn't very far out of town. Some would even still consider us part of it.

I went to do a grind on the curb at the first sidewalk I came to, and of course, I fucked it up in some way and ended up on the ground. "Fuck!" I hissed and sat up, glancing around to see two old women sitting the porch of a house a few feet down the street from me. I sighed deeply, feeling stupid, and stood up after a few more seconds of letting the shock of the fall wear off, realizing that I could be hit by a car any second. I jogged over to my board, which had gone pretty far and picked it up before walking.

I soon got tired of walking and decided to try my luck with skating again. I was quite fortunate that I hadn't run into anyone that I knew from school on the way to the shitty little gas station I stopped at. They all hated me. I wasn't really too sure why... I never really said anything to make anyone hate me. Well, at first I didn't.

I let my skateboard lay outside while I walked in and quickly to the back aisle where they kept medicines of sorts. I glanced around quickly before spotting the orange and white box that Motrin came in. I sniffed and picked it up before walking back to the cash register. I waited in the line of two people and looked at the rows of cigarettes behind the cashier. They would fucking last at least a year for most people... I coughed and shook my head, trying not to look at them.

At last, my turn came up. The cashier was a young black man with acne scars along the side of his face. He gave me a fake smile, so I did the same in return, and he rung my item up. I gave him the money and waited for my change. I realized quickly that I was glad that I wasn't him. I hated the way acne scars looked and I was blessed, if you will, enough to not have any on my face or body. I had other scars, but not acne scars.