Chapter 11- September

School had started. I remembered how much I hated it the first day back, and it was putting me in a horrible mood day after day. Whenever I was in a bad mood, it seemed to radiate off onto Zach as well which meant trouble for me. I was coming to realize just how insensitive he was...

I walked through the door, scuffing my feet as I went, and rested my board against the wall before glancing around.  Killian came running over to greet me. "Hey, bud," I said with a smile as he jumped up gently at me. I grabbed his paws and held him up for a moment before dropping him again. I pet his head and walked forward to look into the kitchen. Claudia was stirring something in a pot. She looked over and smiled.

"Hello, sweetie. How was your day?" She asked cheerily. I never could figure out how she always managed to stay so happy. I shrugged one shoulder.

"I dunno," I responded. "Okay, I guess. I'm just glad it's finally Friday." I pulled out a chair and sat, Killian following closely. He stared up at me, lightly wagging his tail. "What are you making?" I asked, rubbing under my dog's chin.

"Vegetable soup. Would you like some?" She asked. That sounded delicious.

"Uh, yeah. Thank you," I replied, scratching the back of my neck. My hair was getting long.

"It should be done in about thirty minutes." Claudia added some seasoning and then moved to sit across from me. I noticed she had a cup of tea sitting in front of her.

"Where's Zach?" I asked, and immediately remembered where he was.

"Out with friends still, I suppose." She snorted and shook her head. "Now what he should be doing is applying for a job." She smiled, looking lost in thought.

"Yeah, I know what you mean," I laughed lightly, still petting Killian. I would need to get a job soon, I knew that. The fact that Zach had been living in the house for a whole summer and some and still didn't have a job showed that he obviously wasn't looking.

"You should take your dog out," Claudia suddenly suggested. That actually didn't sound like a bad idea. I needed a cigarette, and nobody knew I smoked in the house but Zach.

"Okay." I stood up and walked out of the kitchen and to the front door. His leash was hanging on a wall knob right beside the door. I grabbed it and made him sit, which took a little while, before attaching it to his collar. "I'll be back in," I called before exiting the house.

Jager was usually pretty good on his leash. I was trying to train him better, but it was hard finding the time to take him out. I decided to walk through the grass field by the edge of our property for a little, so that I was out of Claud's sight.

I smoked my cigarette quickly, walking Killian loosely, hoping that he wouldn't see a mouse or anything and go flying. I would fall on my face if that happened. Eventually he chose where to relieve himself, so I decided to go back to the house.

As I walked through the yard, Zach's green car pulled into the driveway. I watched him, my stomach warming, as he stopped the engine and opened the car door. I was suddenly jerked forward as Killian pulled on his leash trying to get to Zach. I pulled back, annoyed, and began walking in his direction. I would have felt fucking stupid as shit if I'd fallen. Luckily it hadn't been raining or anything, so the yard was dry.

Zach put up his hand in a sort of wave to me. "Hey," I greeted once we'd gotten closer.

"Hello," He said back, leaning down to pet Killian. He was so tall... "How was your first week of school," He scoffed, a mocking smile on his face. I rolled my eyes.

"Fine," I replied bitterly. He scowled up at me.

"Okay, I suppose we can talk about it later." He straightened and gave me a hard look before turning to head for the house. I stood for a moment before following him. I could tell it was going to be one of those days where we just didn't seem to get along.