Chapter 49

~Mikayla~

The worst part of this all was my dad locked all the expensive electronics in his office and the garage as if I would steal them. He didn't make it obvious but he simply locked both doors and he never locks his office door. He would always have it unlocked in case anyone of us wanted something.

I simply looked away and took a deep breath before I started yelling at everything and everyone. "So what are you doing here?" My dad asked in an uncomfortable tone.

"School is over, this is where I live. What else does it look like I'm doing here?" I retorted, lying just to make him feel even more uncomfortable. Jason gave me a scowl and I only smiled innocently at him. If he brought me here, I would make my dad's reunion with me a living hell.

"Um, I thought you were staying at the dorms over the summer as well. We agreed on that." He reminded me.

"No, you told me that and I stayed quiet as I walked to the car." I informed. "By the way, this is Jason. My amazing best friend." I said the last part through gritted teeth. I hated him with a passion at the moment.

"Hey, Mr. Robson." Jason shook his hand, my dad looking at him with untrustworthy eyes. I glared intently, wanting to bad-mouth him but I remained calm--which took a lot of effort.

"Nice to meet you, Jason." He said, even though I knew he was lying. That's what we had in common: we were good liars.

"Oh, you're home?" My sister asked as she appeared in the doorway of the kitchen with a shocked expression.

"No, I'm just a projection of myself like in Star Wars." I told her sarcastically. She cracked a smile and leaned against the doorway. Unlike my father, she didn't seem to find me untrustworthy. I smiled at her and then looked back at my dad.

"You're not supposed to be here. The town still hasn't forgotten what happened and they think you were sent away to military school." My dad admitted. I was at loss for words there.

"But that's what you want them to think, don't you? That I was sent to military school to be disciplined? Everyone knows that I didn't do anything and that it was all a lie but yet, everyone sees me as a delinquent? I don't understand this town and I thought you were better than that." I bit back, narrowing my eyes. "Whatever happened to us? You were always so caring and you never let what other's thought of you or anyone of us make you think otherwise." I reminded him, my tone more sadly now.

My sister noticed the change in my tone and decided to leave before our dad dragged her into this as well. He tends to do that.

"This isn't about me! I paid for that school so you can go to a good school and live your dreams of art and whatever else it is you love. You should be thanking me." He said through gritted teeth. That's when I realized he was no longer the same dad I had a year ago. He was completely a different man. One I didn't know and didn't want to.

Jason was sitting there, looking really awkward and I just stared at my dad. I wanted to cry once again and just run to my dad's arms, knowing it would be okay but I couldn't do that anymore.

"Good to know you still love me." I whispered and then walked out the door. Jason stood up and followed, unsure.

"I never said I didn't love you! Stop making everything about you!" He yelled but I simply got in Jason's car and slammed the door shut. I noticed the climate got chillier and the wind picked up. I didn't care though, and just waited for Jason to get in the car. Once he did, I turned to the window with my head down and felt a tear roll down my cheek. I didn't even care if he saw me cry again.

I was done acting as if nothing ever hurt me. I simply let myself feel vulnerable and just cried silently to myself. Jason drove off without a word and I put my earphones in my ear, needing to listen to music.