Chapter 53- The Trap

MacKenzie's POV

Cisco and I were building goggles for the two of us, cause Barry's horrible idea was to make us relive the moment we died in the other timeline.

"So these will allow Cisco and Mack to see into their dream?" Barry asks, looking at the goggles we were working on.

"I got the idea from a journal article on lucid dream therapy." Caitlin says. "They think it can be used to help people suffering from post traumatic stress disorder."

"Traumatized, stressed?" Cisco asks. "Check and check."

"Amen to that." I say.

"The theory is that it will allow people to objectively enter their dreams and face their fears." Caitlin says, typing on the computer. "Still working on the talking part."

"And you're sure this thing isn't gonna, you know, mess with our brains?" Cisco asks for the two of us.

"Oh, the amount of electricity required to trigger lucid dreaming is harmless." Caitlin says. "Probably."

"That's not very reassuring." I say.

"Who is going to be lucid dreaming?" Dr. Wells asks, rolling into the cortex.

"Um..." Caitlin stutters. "With all of the metahumans in Central City, people have been seeing some strange things—things that they don't understand. And it's really just a matter of time before psychological sues develop."

"And lucid dreaming will help the doctors better understand their fears." Dr. Wells says. "Intriguing. Of course, you still need to guide the patient from the outside, right? Direct them to specific of the dream."

"We're still working on a communications interface." Cisco says.

"When we dream, the middle brain lights up with electrical activity, whereas the higher brain remains dormant." Dr. Wells says, wheeling over to a computer and typing. "Once we find a way to make both parts of the brain active, then it's just a matter of finding the frequency that will stimulate the language center."

"Then the dreamer could speak. He could describe his dream." Caitlin says.

"Exactly." Dr. Wells says.

"Or her dream." Caitlin quietly says. "It could be used for anyone."

"Right. It's not gender specific." Dr. Wells says. "I would try a frequency of 45 hertz to start."

"Thank you, Dr. Wells." Caitlin says as he turns around.

"Well, you never cease to impress me, Caitlin." Dr. Wells says as he rolls away.

***

I was switching between scratching my left wrist and playing with my cross necklace, two nervous ticks that I can't seem to get rid of.

We were in Barry's lab, Joe, Caitlin, Cisco, Barry, and I.

"Okay, can we go over this one more time?" Cisco asks.

"Please?" I ask, backing him up.

"Sure, you put the glasses on, fall asleep, and start dreaming." Caitlin says. "Not that hard."

"Easy for you to say. Pretty sure we die in this dream." I point out.

"If we go back into the dream where we die are we gonna die in real life?" Cisco asks.

"Don't make me nervous..." I plead, trying not to quake.

"Sorry." Cisco says. "I mean, what are we talking about here? Is this Inception or Dreamscape?"