Chapter 13- Plastique

MacKenzie's POV

I was at STAR labs, sitting on the chair with my legs up on the desk and playing with my fingers as I watched the city's metahuman tracker.

I was alone, of course. Barry, Caitlin and Cisco decided to go to a bar and I'm...12, so I'm here, by myself and bored out of my mind. I've never wanted a metahuman to show up on the tadcker more than I did right now.

Then, I heard it. An explosion.

"Oh gosh." I muted under my breath, typing away at the computer to try and get some video feed from where ever this was. I grab a STAR labs phone and call Cisco.

"Hey, Mack." Cisco says and I can barely hear him due to the loud music in the back.

"Cisco!" I yell. "There's been a bombing. 8th and Pass. Get Barry there Now." I tell him.

I see Barry's lightening for a split second flash into the cortex and then out.

"Come on, Barry." I say, looking at the people about to fall out of the building and tracking Barry's movements on the computers.

Cisco calls.

"Mack, you're on with Barry, Caitlin and I." Cisco says through the phone.

"Got it." I say.

"Guys, there's a window washer, and he's gonna fall." Barry says.

"Don't try and catch him, you don't have super strength." Cisco tells him.

"Well, is there like a bed store near here? What if I get a bunch of mattresses and stack them?" Barry asks.

"Barry, this isn't a Road Runner cartoon." Caitlin says.

"How fast would I need to go to run up the side of a building?" Barry asks.

"How far up do you need to go?" Cisco asks.

"I don't know, 50 meters, give or take." Barry says and I see him back up on the screen. "Guys, hurry."

"Just run really fast and you'll be fine." Caitlin says. "But you need to maintain your velocity on the way down or-"

"Or what?" Barry asks.

"Splat." Caitlin says.

"Please don't go splat." I tell Barry.

"Great." Barry says under his breath. "Alright. Alright alright alright." Barry coaches himself. "Here goes." And with that, he speeds up the building, catches the person, and comes back down safely.

***

"A VA file number is all the info you have on the bomber?" Cisco asks the next day when we were all in STAR labs.

"CCPD's been ordered off the case." Barry explains.

"Well, who has power to do that?" Caitlin asks.

"The army. Some general. His name was Eiling I think." Barry says.

"General Wade Eiling." Dr. Wells says, rolling into the cortex.

"You know him?" Barry asks and I lean my head on my hand and listen in on my spot from on the corner of the desk next to Barry.

"Yea, I know him." Dr. Wells says. "About ten years ago, General Wade Eiling contracted STAR labs to develop enhanced gene therapies for soldiers. I was interested in the potential medical benefits for civilians. General Eiling really wanted to develop mind reading capabilities for interrogation purposes. I stopped the study when I saw his techniques up close, but our split was less than amicable." Dr. Wells explains.