Chapter Thirty-Five: The Seeds Of Doubt

Gaius was pleased that Morgana was well and recovering but he couldn't help but question what had happened. Whilst everyone else was still with Morgana, Gaius decided to go and talk to Edwin who was making his way back to his assigned chambers. How could a man bring someone back from the brink of death so quickly?

"Edwin" Gaius called causing the young man to stop and turn around to face him, "I want to offer you my congratulations."

"Thank you" Edwin replied, gracing Gaius with a smile.

"She was all but dead and you brought her back to life" Gaius commented, the suspicion clear in his voice. "How exactly did you do that?"

"I have developed an elixir for the treatment of just such an ailment" Edwin explained, his facade strong.

"I'd love to know the ingredients" Gaius said, he knew that Edwin could have no such elixir but he was curious to see how the man would react.

"It is not yet perfected" Edwin immediately responded. Gaius' eyebrows rose; he had an un-perfected treatment and he used it on the king's ward, hardly likely. "You must give me more time before I make it public." Even though Edwin went to turn away Gaius was not finished.

"The injury to your face?" Gaius asked. Edwin's steps faltered before he turned back to face Gaius.

"It happened when I was very young" Edwin said, his tone explaining he would explain no further.

"Perhaps it was I that treated you for it" Gaius pressed.

"I told you before, we've never met" Edwin snapped. Gaius knew then that he had him; the truth was that Gaius had been the one to treat Edwin. And with Edwin's age Gaius figured it put Edwin's injury to have occurred during the Great Purge. Furthermore, Gaius distinctly remembered treating such a serious wound on a young boy.

"Yes, of course. Well, I'll leave you to your work" Gaius said with a small bow before he turned and walked away. He had to double check that he was right about Edwin and there was only one way he could do that.

~8~

The king and Arthur had finally left Morgana alone so that she could freshen up and get dressed but there was still the matter of a reward for Edwin. Arthur was stood behind his seat in the Council Chamber whilst Uther sat in his own seat with Edwin standing in front of them.

"Name your reward" Uther stated. The humble physician gave the king a smile before he shook his head.

"I desire nothing more than the good health of my patient, Sire" he replied.

"There must be something I can do for you" Uther said, bewildered by the man wanting no such reward.

"No. I will wait until the Lady Morgana is fully recovered, and then I will be on my way" Edwin reassured. Arthur was just as shocked as his father; so many other men would have taken advantage of the situation

"Why don't you stay awhile? You could live here in the palace" Uther offered. Arthur stared at his father, it was clear the man had grown slightly attached to the physician due to him saving his ward but Arthur didn't know if that was a good thing or not. The prince found it a little astounding that Gaius could have been so wrong about Morgana, yet the proof sat in her chambers.

"No" Edwin insisted, "I-I feel I would be trespassing. And you already have a court physician."

"I'm sure Gaius would be glad of your help" Uther replied

"It is a kind offer, but Gaius is a great physician the very best he does not need my services ..." Edwin trailed off his eyes dropping to the floor in a very obvious manner. Arthur narrowed his eyes at the physician, why did he seem to dislike Gaius so much?