Chapter Forty-Nine: You Must Let The Boy Die

A cold silence held the Council Chamber. Arthur was stood leaning against a pillar in the Chamber whilst Uther stood at one end of the long table with Morgana stood at the other. Arthur could see a touch of fear in Morgana's eyes. Neither of them knew how Uther was going to reaction to learning the truth ... Morgana had betrayed him. But Arthur knew Morgana well; he knew that she would fight with Uther.

"All this time, you've been hiding the boy in my own palace" Uther started out with a cold calmness that sent a wave of uneasiness over both Arthur and Morgana. He was unpredictable in that moment. "How could you betray me like this?"

"I would not see him executed" Morgana replied quickly and defiantly. Why would she pick a fight with Uther? She was in so much trouble already; Arthur knew she was only going to make the situation worse.

"I've treated you like a daughter. Is this how you repay me?" Uther asked as he lifted his gaze to Morgana's. Arthur had to give it to the Lady, she held her ground and her gaze did not falter, neither did her words.

"I did what I thought was right."

"You think its right to conspire with my enemies against me?" Uther asked as he began to stalk towards his ward. Arthur shifted his weight at his father's actions. He was smart enough to know that if he got involved it would only make things worse but that didn't mean his natural reflex to protect Morgana wasn't kicking in.

"How can this child be your enemy? He's just a boy" Morgana argued, she understood Uther's position even less than Arthur.

"He is a Druid." That was all Uther needed to know.

"Is that such a crime?" Arthur held his tongue; all he wanted to do was shut Morgana up. She was only burying herself deeper.

"His kind would see me dead and this kingdom returned to anarchy and you would help them" Uther accused ... yet Morgana did not deny it.

"Then punish me but spare the boy. I beg you" Morgana pleaded instead. Uther stared at the Lady for mere seconds before he turned to his son.

"Make arrangements for the boy to be executed tomorrow morning."

"No!" Morgana protested immediately chasing after Uther who had turned to leave the chambers. "Please. He's done nothing!"

"Let this be a lesson to you" Uther replied sharply.

"You don't have to do this" Morgana argued trying her hardest to get Uther to shift his opinion and his ruling.

"Do you hear me? I want him executed at dawn" Uther ordered once again, this time Arthur answered, like he was supposed. However the words left a foul taste in his mouth.

"Yes, Father." That was when Morgana snapped, her anger getting the better of her with the worst of men.

"What have these people done to you? Why are you so full of hate?!" she snapped as she stormed over to Uther's retreating back and grabbed his arm in protest. The King unexpectedly turned and wrapped his hand around Morgana's throat pushing her back against his chair that was sat at the top of the table. Arthur stepped forward at Uther's actions.

"Enough!" Uther shouted, Arthur's hand twitched for his sword that swung from his hip but the prince did notice that whilst Uther had his hand to Morgana's throat he was not holding her throat tightly or at all. His hand was there as a threat, a warning - to scare not to injury. The scene still made Arthur uncomfortable especially as he remembered himself in such a position not that long ago. "I will not hear another word! Do not speak to me until you are ready to apologise for what you've done."

With a violent push, Uther let go of Morgana and stormed out of the chambers. Morgana was smart enough to keep her mouth shut this time and watched him walk away. Silently, Arthur made his way to her side. Neither of them spoke as Arthur gently checked her neck for any signs of bruising or injury. As he suspected there was none. With a nod Arthur hurried after his father. He had to try and ease the punishment for the boy - it wasn't fair to say the least.