Chapter Thirty: The Griffin In Camelot

...Drinks flowed around the room. Music played in the air whilst laughter and talking filled in the rest of the silence...

....Merlyn laughed as she was turned under Leon's arm. The floor was full of similar partners who were also dancing to the upbeat music. From the corner of her eye Merlyn spotted Gwen dancing clumsily away with Lancelot...

....somehow the young witch had found herself standing before Sir Richard with a full tankard in her hand. She narrowed her eyes on the cocky knight. Around them was cheering knights who were either betting on herself or Richard. She was so going to pay for this tomorrow. They both simultaneously lifted their tankards to each other in cheers before the liquids began running down their throats as fast as either could handle....

...Merlyn dropped down on the table beside a certain Prince who was watching the festivities. The pair smiled at one another before they went back to drinking. After a few moments, Merlyn downed her drink and slammed her empty tankard on the table behind her.

"All right, come dance with me" Merlyn ordered as she grabbed the Prince's hand. Arthur chuckled as he pulled Merlyn back to him preventing her from pulling him onto his feet.

"Err, no Merlyn, I can't be seen dancing with a servant" Arthur replied though there was no conviction in his voice at all.

"NO ONE CARES!" Merlyn shouted happily, she had clearly had a lot to drink. Arthur looked around to find that she was right no one did care, no one even glanced up at Merlyn's shout. "Come on, it's a celebration so you're supposed to have fun." The prince wore a small smile on his face as Merlyn laughed and tugged him to his feet. Merlyn smiled brightly as she turned and dragged Arthur through the crowd. He couldn't deny her...

...The two stumbled through the corridors, often they found themselves banging into the walls as putting one foot in front of the other had become a challenge. With their arms linked together, the two were laughing at every little thing. The pair had completely forgotten about appearances but thankfully it seemed no one was around to see them act like they were both just normal commoners...

~8~

Incessant banging woke the young witch; her head felt like it was being continuously hit by a hammer. Reaching up Merlyn pressed her fingers to her temple, thinking somehow that the action would clear her head of the constant noise. Without evening meaning to Merlyn's magic suddenly reacted and her head immediately quietened down. She sighed in relief as the pain dissipated. With her mind no longer beating the crap out of her, Merlyn tried to put the pieces of last night together – she couldn't for the life of her remembering going to bed. She could remember the night before Arthur's speech but after that she only had bits and pieces.

Knowing she had to get up Merlyn went to move only to realise that her bed was very squishy, very comfortable. How did she end up in such a comfortable bed? Whose bed was it? Merlyn unfortunately had an idea of whose bed she was in ... again. A groan escaped her as she peeled her eyes open only to be met by a bright light.

"Shit" she mumbled against the sun, swiftly she rolled away from the light ... straight into someone! Ok, she wasn't expecting for someone to be actually sleeping beside her. Merlyn's eyes flew open as her hand rested on the chest of the mystery being. Immediately she sighed in relief as she realised her hand was on top of material not skin. Whoever was beside her was clothed. Infuriatingly slowly Merlyn's eyes cleared and she was able to tell who the hell was beside her.