Chapter Eleven: Falsely Accused?

Merlyn was stood beside Arthur in the Council Chambers. He had called the Court together so that he could reveal Valiant's magic. However, as Merlyn stood beside him she had this feeling that something was going to go wrong. The room was full of Court members, including the Lady Morgana and her maid Gwen, all waiting for the King and Valiant himself. Suddenly, the doors opened and Valiant was escorted into the room by four guards. The knight smirked at Arthur and Merlyn as he passed. Merlyn did not fail to notice Arthur's subtle move in front of her. Before any words could be passed Uther swept into the room.

"Why have you summoned the court?" Uther asked as he made his way to his throne. Arthur took a deep breath before he stepped forward.

"I believe Knight Valiant is using a magic shield to cheat in the tournament" Arthur announced. The Court gasped in shock. It wasn't an accusation to be made lightly. Merlyn watched as Valiant glared at Arthur before his eyes settled on her. He knew she had something to do with this.

"Valiant, what do you have to say to this?" Uther demanded, fear clear in his eyes. Uther feared all things magical.

"My Lord, this is ridiculous. I've never used magic" Valiant argued, "Does your son have any evidence to support this outrageous accusation?" It was clear Valiant didn't know how much Arthur and Merlyn knew.

"Do you have evidence?" Uther questioned

"I do" Arthur replied before he gestured towards Merlyn. Merlyn obeyed the gesture and stepped forward to the king, in her hand was the snake's head. Merlyn caught Valiant's eyes widen at the sight of one of his snakes. Uther took the creature and studied it. It was a snake he didn't recognise, which caused the King to demand to see the shield. Having seen how fast the snakes could come out of the shield before, Merlyn whispered to Arthur

"Don't let him get too close."  Arthur immediately heeded his servant's words.

"Be careful, My Lord" Arthur instructed unsheathing his sword, prepared to defend his father if he had to. Uther looked towards his son before carefully running his hand along the shield. Suddenly, Merlyn heard Gaius call her name. Merlyn swiftly made her way to Gaius' side.

"We need Ewan" Merlyn said. This was going downhill quickly; she could hear Arthur arguing their case against his father who was being stubborn about a knight having magic.

"That maybe an issue" Gaius whispered. Merlyn's blood ran cold.

"What?"

"Ewan died" Gaius informed her. Merlyn didn't know what to do. She sighed and buried her face in her hands. Arthur was going to kill her. Without Ewan, all they had was a snake's head foreign to Camelot and a servant's word.

"I thought you said the antidote would heal him" Merlyn replied lowering her hands in defeat.

"It did, he woke up and was regaining his strength, I left to collect some more herbs and came back to find multiple bite marks in Ewan's neck" Gaius finished; Merlyn caught the sorrowful expression on Gaius' face. They both knew this was going to end badly.

"Where's Ewan?" Arthur suddenly asked from beside them. Merlyn cringed as she turned to face him.

"He-He's" Merlyn struggled, she didn't want to say it, "He's dead." Merlyn watched as Arthur's face paled. His eyes scanned each and every Court member.

"I'm waiting!" Uther demanded. Arthur stepped away from Gaius and Merlyn towards his father.

"I'm afraid the witness is dead" Arthur said.

"So you have no proof to support these allegations" Uther said, his eyes flaring with anger, "Have you seen Valiant using magic?"

"No" Arthur said before turning to gesture towards Merlyn, "But my servant fought one of the snakes from–"