Chapter Twenty-Four: That's 3:2

Once Merlyn was better Gaius had to inform Uther of the truth. Uther had locked Bayard up in his dungeons for trying to kill Arthur and everyone knew the chance of war with Mercia again was high. Gaius had to stop it. As he entered the War Council Chambers he found Uther and his most trusted knights around him, studying a map of the area with Camelot dragons and Mercia castles placed strategically on the maps.

"Sire, forgive the interruption, but may I speak with you?" Gaius asked.

"Not now" Uther replied though he never lifted his gaze from the map.

"But, Your Highness, it is important" Gaius insisted

"Word of Bayard's arrest has got back to Mercia. We're about to be attacked" Uther answered frustrated that the physician didn't seem to understand the severity of the situation.

"I feel that what I have to tell you may have some bearing on your plans. Please, it will only take a moment" Gaius continued. Uther sighed as he pushed off the table and moved to the side away from the other men. Gaius followed and swiftly began speaking

"I know who tried to poison Arthur."

"So do I. He's locked in my dungeons" Uther retaliated.

"It wasn't Bayard. Arthur saw a woman at the mountain. He said she knew he was there for the flower and the poison itself was magical. The poison used against Merlyn was made more potent by the use of magic. And I'd recognise the hand that made it anywhere" Gaius explained before he took a deep breath and spoke her name, "Nimueh." The King's reaction was immediate; he was horrified upon hearing the name.

"You must be mistaken" Uther replied, tension radiating all over his body.

"I wish I was" Gaius said.

"It can't have been. We'd know her. That witch's face is not easily forgotten" Uther argued, it just couldn't have been that witch.

"She's a powerful sorceress. She can enchant the eye that beholds her. We never knew it was her" Gaius explained. Uther's eyes drifted back to the war table. Had he started a war for no good reason?

"Are you saying that she conspired with Bayard to kill Arthur?" Uther asked.

"No, Bayard is innocent" Gaius immediately said, "Look at what's happening. This is what she's wanted all along: a war to bring strife and misery to Camelot." What Gaius was saying made sense, Uther feared he had made a drastic mistake.

"How long before Bayard's armies reach our walls?" he called over to the head of his army, Sir Gregory, when Arthur wasn't able to lead.

"A day. Maybe less. We should send cavalry out to meet them" he replied. Uther sighed and made his way back to the table. This war wouldn't be worth it.

"Instruct your men not to leave Camelot until I give the word" Uther ordered. The knights immediately bowed to their king before they left to do his bidding – they all knew there was now not going to be any war.

"You are making the right decision, Sire" Gaius praised before he joined Uther at the table. Gaius knew the truth and Uther knew the truth about Nimueh but was it right for Arthur to know, Gaius had to find out. "Do you think Arthur should be told the truth about Nimueh? About his mother?"

~8~

Finally the Mercians were leaving Camelot. Uther, Arthur and Morgana all stood on the battlements watching as Bayard and his men left. Uther stood a little bit away from Morgana and Arthur whilst Arthur placed both his hands on the battlements (finally free from the dungeons). Arthur had wanted to see Merlyn right away after he discovered she was alive, from Gaius, but he had had duties to carry out. There was only so much Arthur could disobey his father for a servant. But one thing was for sure: once the Mercians had left Merlyn was the first place he was going to.